Introducing OCDtober

OCDtober.jpg

Our new campaign for October is OCDtober

OCDtober is a fantastic initiative that was the brainchild of one of our members, and one which OCD-UK are proud to launch.

OCDtober is an entire month, which includes international OCD Awareness Week (7th-13th), dedicated to raising awareness and challenging our own OCD. To change perceptions and to generate momentum to help us further work towards our recovery.

The idea is still fresh, but we are planting the seeds this year, with a view to watching the campaign grow bigger in 2019 and hopefully for many years to come.

Most of our work this OCDtober will be online. But this only works if more people support the idea, perhaps re-tweeting and sharing our social media posts, or getting involved by distributing posters and handouts at your school, college, university or place of work (with their permission). We will send you as many handouts as you need, just email us at: office@ocduk.org

More online at - https://www.ocduk.org/ocdtober/

What a great idea, this may just be the spur I need to join the 21st century and sign-up with twitter and get tweeting. 

Hopefully enough people will get on board and make it work, and perhaps in the years to come as it becomes more established it can be rolled out via other media.

New ventures like this are so important I think, and keep the charity at the forefront of spreading all important awareness.

I think it's working a treat Ashley.  The stuff I'm seeing on Twitter is really amazing.  I plan to share some information on FB later this week too and have already broken down some barriers with a friend about my OCD.  If I can get 1 person to understand a bit more than the usual themes about OCD then it's worth while.  Good work :clapping:

I was explaining to two teenager friends this morning how OCD troubles around 1% of the population sufficient enough to affect their daily lives. 

They were horrified at that high proportion of people suffering. 

We can all choose to open up about our OCD and aid awareness. 

I am becoming, as I wish to be, well-known in my community for having OCD and being willing to help others. 

And it brings me great joy when I am able to point people towards where to get help. 

Sometimes people don't have OCD but some other anxiety disorder, and I am able to steer them towards finding help. 

I pop down to our local late afternoon a couple of times a week, and chat to the guys at the bar as they come off their work shifts. 

Apart from getting drawn into solving the Daily Mail crossword - which four of us did :) I also found myself talking OCD with a guy whose son, in his early twenties, is a sufferer. 

He has had CBT and is currently doing well, but his Dad was seeking some support for his son, should he need it. 

He isn't looking any further, as I told him about OCD-UK and the online forum resource. 

That father was so so pleased, and we clinked beerglasses together to cement a new friendship.