False ocd thoughts urge to throw clothes away

Guest Phil10

Guest OCDhavenobrain
1 hour ago, Phil10 said:

I guess not then.

Sadly I have exhausted this ocd routine and I find it simply better to forget these thoughts. I don’t believe I will remain stuck as I have got over it before. 

I am tiring of the Cbt methods touching bins was the tipping point I decided no I don’t want to do this. I said before I can take the odd bit of hand washing but I don’t want these negative thoughts I have. I believe after much consideration it seems more anxiety based rather than ocd. I did do compulsions however I do very few now as they failed so I can no longer say what I have is ocd. 

Negative thoughts in anxiety is different to ocd they may seem similar at first glance but I believe it’s not ocd I have. 

I am sorry Phil but all of this (above) won't take you anywhere. You have to try to trust all the other people who have fought this/fights OCD just like you do now. You have to start to take it in. Because as it is now you are only reading/listen to the things you want to hear, the stories about how it is impossible, how you can't change, how dreadfully hopeless it all is. I just realised that I need to correct myself, because as you have figured out are there many people who have OCD and thinks that it is hopeless, it is not like everybody with OCD have understanding and believes in CBT, far from it. As it is now you only listen to the bad stories because it makes you able to wallowing in it, won't take you anywhere to wallow and feel pity for yourself, even if I have done it myself and i totally understand why you are doing it, when you are getting a beating from the inside oftentimes you feel like you could need a bit compassion, but it is not compassion to wallowing, even if it feels good when you do it.

But yea I understand that you are having a tough time but seriously make small small steps in the right direction, which is the direction you are not used to. Do differently Phil. 

Edited by OCDhavenobrain
  • Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, OCDhavenobrain said:

I am sorry Phil but all of this (above) won't take you nowhere. You have to try to trust all the other who have fought this/fights OCD just like you do now. You have to start to take it in. Because as it is now you are only reading/listen to the things you want to hear, the stories about how it is impossible, how you can't change, how dreadfully hopeless it all is.

But yea I understand that you are having a tough time but seriously make small small steps in the right direction, which is the direction you are not used to. Do differently Phil. 

The Cbt isn’t working. It doesn’t work for everybody. The information doesn’t get through to me and I said before I beat the ocd routines in the past by anxiety elimination. I believe what I have is an anxiety based condition with negative thoughts rather than compulsions which I no longer do. 

Guest OCDhavenobrain
4 minutes ago, Phil10 said:

The Cbt isn’t working. It doesn’t work for everybody. The information doesn’t get through to me and I said before I beat the ocd routines in the past by anxiety elimination. I believe what I have is an anxiety based condition with negative thoughts rather than compulsions which I no longer do. 

Wait what? What do you mean "it doesn't get through to me"? Man, this is some next level justification from your OCD, I have to tell you that much. I don't care what your OCD is telling you, you don't even believe that yourself. AND even if it "just" is anxiety, I can tell you that you can get rid of anxiety too. 

Edited by OCDhavenobrain
2 minutes ago, OCDhavenobrain said:

Wait what? What do you mean it doesn't "get through to me"? Man, this is some next level justification from your OCD, I have to tell you that much. I don't care what your OCD is telling you, you don't even believe that yourself. AND even if it "just" is anxiety, I can tell you that you can get rid of anxiety too. 

Yes I agree I believe I can get rid of the anxiety I went through two house moves in 2018 which propelled my thinking and I believe it can all calm down again hopefully. Stress can be a cause.

The only issue is touching a bin for cbt it doesn’t make sense for me. I keep hearing it you do the work blah blah..I’m a busy guy I work and I have bills to pay I don’t have time to do the work.

I believe I have been wasting my time looking at Cbt methods given that if I work on reducing the anxiety whether it be relaxation or whatever that may be the cure. I say relaxation not mindfulness which is a fad 

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20180502-does-mindfulness-really-improve-our-health

Guest OCDhavenobrain
8 minutes ago, Phil10 said:

Yes I agree I believe I can get rid of the anxiety I went through two house moves in 2018 which propelled my thinking and I believe it can all calm down again hopefully. Stress can be a cause.

The only issue is touching a bin for cbt it doesn’t make sense for me. I keep hearing it you do the work blah blah..I’m a busy guy I work and I have bills to pay I don’t have time to do the work.

I believe I have been wasting my time looking at Cbt methods given that if I work on reducing the anxiety whether it be relaxation or whatever that may be the cure. I say relaxation not mindfulness which is a fad 

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20180502-does-mindfulness-really-improve-our-health

No you don't have time to do the work, but you have time to let your OCD destroy your life? Because it will get worse than this. I hear so many excuses from your OCD, about howyou can't do this and you can't do that. Why not responde to your OCD with "bla bla bla" instead to all the possibilities? 

It doesn't matter if it makes sense to you, it won't make sense to you, doesn't matter.

The thing I fear is that that you one day when you are old will look back at all of this (maybe even this thread) and ask yourself why you didn't took the right track when you were young. 

And please, for the sake of your wellbeing, STOP GOOGLING :biggrin:. How did that link (reading the article) make you feel? How did you feel when you read that article?

Edited by OCDhavenobrain
2 hours ago, Phil10 said:

I would be very much interested to hear from others who Cbt never worked for perhaps none on here but on another mesage board I was informed by many how the Cbt never worked. 

Never really helped me either, until I attended group CBT which was run by a couple of ladies that really knew their stuff!

Are you able to point us in the direction of that other message board? I'd equally be very much interested in what has been said.

:)

6 minutes ago, felix4 said:

Never really helped me either, until I attended group CBT which was run by a couple of ladies that really knew their stuff!

Are you able to point us in the direction of that other message board? I'd equally be very much interested in what has been said.

:)

Ok I sent a pm with the link to the message board 

1 hour ago, Phil10 said:

I guess not then.

Sadly I have exhausted this ocd routine and I find it simply better to forget these thoughts. I don’t believe I will remain stuck as I have got over it before. 

I am tiring of the Cbt methods touching bins was the tipping point I decided no I don’t want to do this. I said before I can take the odd bit of hand washing but I don’t want these negative thoughts I have. I believe after much consideration it seems more anxiety based rather than ocd. I did do compulsions however I do very few now as they failed so I can no longer say what I have is ocd. 

Negative thoughts in anxiety is different to ocd they may seem similar at first glance but I believe it’s not ocd I have. 

OCD is an anxiety disorder. Feeling anxieyy is part of OCD. And yes, you do compulsions, big time. I'll point out two: ruminating and avoidance. 

You think about your thoughts and their ramificstions constantly. That's ruminating. And you avoid things, like dirty laundry and bins, like the plague. They are compulsions and they are the cause of you being stuck.

Before I was diagnosed with OCD I was foolishly trying to treat the end result -  the disorder - of OCD as just anxiety. 

Sure I could use distraction exercise relaxation as methods of easing down that high arousal. But I wasn't treating the cause of it - the underlying  OCD alleging that I could lose control and commit harm. And the avoidance compulsion that I was carrying out. 

So nothing was cured and I can wholeheartedly declare that anxiety orders need the cause of the unnatural anxiety tackling, not the anxiety itself, in order to recover. 

It's quite simple - if our brain no longer sees threat worthy of pressing the alarm button, then we don't experience unwanted unnatural anxiety. 

Pure and simple. 

So we need to treat what is causing that anxiety aka the OCD in order to remove the anxiety. 

And we do it through CBT as the central core psychological therapy. 

In my case, adding to this essential core therapy The Four Steps, Mindfulness and being forgiving and kind to myself (Love Kindness meditation) produced the overall therapy package that did the trick. 

We each need to find whatever mix really suits, and for some an SSRI may also be needed. 

Phil. You will never get over your OCD if you don't stop avoiding the 'contaminated' items and if you don't stop analysing your fears, typing your fears and researching your fears. These are forms of rumination - a major compulsion for you.

The anxiety won't just click off in your brain. There is no magic scenario where this could happen.

Edited by Orwell1984
5 hours ago, Phil10 said:

The Cbt isn’t working. It doesn’t work for everybody.

Look, whether or not you choose to follow through on the CBT is up to you, but you, yourself, admit that you aren't even doing the work.  Saying the CBT has failed when you aren't even willing to do it is a cop out.

You say you don't have time, that you are a busy guy, that you have bills to pay, yet you are willing to move houses to avoid "contamination".  You are, by your own admission constantly replacing perfectly good and usable things for fear of "contamination.".  You've spent four months now on this thread alone, time you could have been spending doing the exact same exposure and CBT work to lead to recovery.  Again, if you choose not to do CBT, if you choose not to follow the advice of both medical professionals and people who have gone through OCD recovery with CBT that is absolutely your right to do so.  But if thats the case, it raises the question of what you are looking for here?  What is your goal with using this forum and engaging on this thread?  If you don't want to follow anyones suggestions, why seek them out?

I believe what I have is an anxiety based condition with negative thoughts rather than compulsions which I no longer do. 

You won't even touch a trash bin, thats avoidance, its a compulsion.  You constantly avoid other "contaminated" things to the point of, by your own admission, moving to a new house.  You have spent four months on this thread ruminating about your anxieties, and doubtless more time outside this thread doing so in your personal life.  There is no question that you engage in compulsions.

So again, I have to ask, what is your goal with your posts here?  What is it you are hoping to get out of participating in an OCD support forum?  I think you should really ask yourself that and think about it.  This can be a great resource for helping people recover from their OCD and the people here are clearly willing to take some time out of their own lives to do that.  But if you aren't interested in considering what help there is to offer, then I fear our efforts won't do much for you.

not mindfulness which is a fad 

Mindful meditation is far from a fad.  It's been practiced for thousands of years and is central to the religious practices of Buddhists among other belief systems.  Even the article you link to as "proof" its a fad admits that its been around for ages, the exact OPPOSITE of a fad.  Further the article points out that there are already proven benefits of mindfulness in some situations,  and that is with relatively recent and limited research done in to the effects of mindful meditation.  If you are not interested in it, thats fine, not everything is for every person, but to dismiss something with such a long history and proven results as a "fad" is very ethnocentric and egocentric.

Not at all becuase I have had discussion across lots of message boards and many people have said Cbt doesn’t work for everybody and they had to take alternatives like meds ect.

5 hours ago, felix4 said:

Ok I sent a pm with the link to the message board 

Hi Phil,

Thank you for PMing me the link.

I have had a good read through (all 9 pages), and could not really see anything that supports what you have said with regards to "many people have said CBT doesn't work"? It seems like a very well run balanced forum to be honest! 

I don't mean to be harsh, but do you think there might be an element of 'victim mentality' going on here, as a side-line to all the official diagnosis that you have had? (I did also read the threads about you quitting various forums!)

I am just trying to be constructive mate, you clearly have OCD & presumably GAD, but it might be worth asking your psychiatrist for a fresh assessment to see if anything else is going on co-morbid which is preventing treatment.

All the best.

Edited by felix4

I also wish to take up the issue of mindfulness.  

Mindfulness was the missing link in my therapy package to enable me to switch off the constantly - repeating intrusive thoughts I would get in an episode of OCD. 

I went to therapy with a young recently - qualified clinical psychologist teaching mindfulness-based CBT for OCD. 

It taught me why the CBT alone had not solved my particular problem. I needed the addition of mindfulness. 

Mindfulness on its own isn't the answer to OCD - the core therapy of CBT is essential. 

Since I learned how to practice the two in tandem I have been free of OCD, including those horrid repeating thought loops, for almost two years - an element of OCD that had plagued me periodically all my adult life now had a successful (at least for the moment) treatment. 

By the way, posting for responses on multiple forums looks to me like obsessional thinking and carrying out the research compulsion. For your interest I only use this forum - which in my humble opinion is brilliant anyway :)