hope and recovery

Hi I have had ocd for a long time. I haven't been diagnosed but I know I have it.  I don't mean this horribly but is there hope for me. Will I ever feel better I feel consumed by ocd and it's getting worse.  What should I do

There is hope. A year ago my OCD was so bad I couldn’t work or take care of my child. I was on a cocktail of anxiety and antidepressant medication. 

Now im back at work, I take care of my child on my own again, and my medication is reducing with the end goal being coming off of some of it completely. 

I’m not saying OCD doesn’t still affect me, but I am definitely doing better than when my relapse started last year. 

Are you having CBT? 

X

Untreated, OCD adds restrictions to our lives, makes us more insular, more alone. 

But we don't have to accept that. At any time in our lives we can decide to conquer the beast that is OCD. 

I went and got a formal diagnosis when I was 50, and the doctor encouraged me to seek out cognitive behavioural therapy. 

Gradually using CBT I learned to challenge then overcome, each of those layers of restrictions that the OCD created. 

And by adding The Four Steps (from the brilliant book "Brainlock"  by Jeffrey Schwartz), and mindfulness, alongside using love kindness meditation, I have gradually reeled in the OCD and am now doing well. 

Edited by taurean

Thanks I didn't mean to offend anyone asking if there was hope for being someone with ocd I just couldn't see hope for myself. I am going to look again at the book brain lock which i have had a few years see if I can work on using the four steps

Edited by helen10937

The Four Steps worked great for me, but remember it's an addition to, necessary, CBT. 

The CBT teaches us how OCD works - the C - how to make the necessary thinking and behavioural changes - the B - so as to ease away the disorder - the D of OCD. 

I personally favour, if using self-help, a CBT workbook for OCD. This both teaches, and requires the learner to engage with the therapy and undertake practical homework. 

These are available from the shop on the main OCD-UK website. 

Hi Helen

Sorry you're going through it, me too right now but there is definitely hope.

Although I'm having a difficult time now, there have been many good times where OCD has taken a back seat and I've been able to do some pretty amazing things that most people without OCD haven't even done.

We have to work at getting on top of it and one day getting over it.  CBT & ERP is defo the way forward, I'll add self knowledge and I'm beginning to remember the value of the support on this forum from fellow sufferers.  I admit I'm still learning but I'm determined to get there and I will, so will you :yes:

Take care 

6 minutes ago, bruces said:

It would be amazing to enjoy life I can't even comprehend how that would feel :yes:

You start in small steps and build momentum. 

After a really challenging few months since we moved here and my wife had been very ill, I needed some fun and some me-time. 

We decided I would go to the Friday night premiership Rugby game Northampton v Harlequins at the nearby Franklin's Gardens ground. 

I took a bus, chatting to others going to the game, bought a good seat in the stands, chatting to fellow spectators, enjoyed some half-time refreshments whilst watching the BTSport Presenters debating the first half standing on the pitch. It was an exciting game under the lights, Northampton Saints hanging on to win. 

I really really enjoyed that evening, the whole thing, and went back to my domestic duties the next day happier and content with my - still difficult - lot. 

On the recovery trail life can be hard, and fitting in CBT and homework challenging, but we can all find an opportunity for some fun and enjoyment - and take it we should. It also tackles the feeling of resentment having OCD evokes.