Can medication be helpful?

Hi, I wanted to start this thread to discuss medication. I just need some thoughts on my situation. So over the years I have tried 6 different medications. The one I am currently on isn't actually used to help with OCD like some others I have been on. Prior to this I was on Sertraline. During my time on Sertraline I did things that I cannot believe I would ever imagine. Things that now I would struggle to do. I took part in lots of activities, travelled more (now I rarely go further than two local places), I started full time work in a higher position etc. Then I hit a really rough patch and my mental health was awful, I was engaging in unhealthy coping mechanisms and acted on suicidal thoughts. After this my medication was changed to my current one and I have been on it for 3 years.

I am not sure whether I should request an appointment with the psychiatrist to discuss options. Can medication actually help that much? If there isn't much impact then I would probably just stay as I am, but if there is a chance changing could help I would consider it.

Another thing I am struggling with is comments from those close to me. I am actually feeling quite awful about this. So someone close to me has been showing me articles about medication being hard to get off and that when people try to come off they have awful side effects. But when this happens doctors think it is a relapse and puts the person back on the medication. So it is taking years for people to come off. I just get the impression that they don't feel I need the medication I am on. I have tried reducing at times and my mental health got worse. I just feel that this person feels I shouldn't be on medication. Believe me if I felt I could get by without anything I would.

How does one managed being told these stories? It just makes me feel bad to be taking medication.

Hey Jamie, sorry to hear about your struggles.  First, I agree with PolarBear, the person who is sharing those stories is not being kind or helpful to you.  They need to stop.

As to your question regarding medication, based on my own first hand experience as well as the scientific studies that have been conducted for decades now, the answer is quite clear.  Yes, absolutely psychiatric medication CAN help treat OCD symptoms.  However, its important to understand that they are not a cure.  Its also important to understand that each person reacts differently so the medication that works well for me, might not work as well for you and vice versa.  Unfortunately finding the right/best medication can be a bit of a trial and error process.  And over time it might require adjustments up or down in dosage, or changing medications all together.  Some people (myself included) achieve great symptom relief from medication.  Others receive less relief but still noticeable, and it can be enough.  And unfortunately some people do not find medication effective and have to rely on other options.  IN all cases I highly highly highly recommend CBT as well as medication.  Relying on medication alone can leave you open to relapses because you aren't prepared how to handle things in a therapeutic fashion.

Side effect wise, yes like all medications SSRI's can have side effects, but again, most people tolerate these medications well, especially after giving there body some time to adjust to them.  Its also true that stopping them abruptly can result in unwanted side effects as well.  When stopping medication its always best to do so slowly under a doctors direction to avoid this. Yes, it is true that in some small cases some people have strong negative reactions to coming off medication, but the vast majority don't.  Its the same of other things in life.  For example the majority of people in the world can eat and enjoy peanuts.  Some people (like myself) have a mild allergy and so they are an unpleasant but not dangerous food.  And for a very small minority they are very dangerous.  Now, ask yourself, if you were a person who had never eaten peanuts, would you try them?  Yes, it IS possible you could be severely allergic, but the chances of that are very very very small.  The reality is you try things all throughout your life that you enjoy and love and make you happy but can have bad consequences for others.  Or even you in the future (say being in a car).  If you allow yourself to be ruled by fears of "what if..." you will never be able to do or enjoy anything.  When taking medication you should take reasonable precautions, such as discussing with your doctor and informing them of any other medications you are taking, and listening to their instructions for dosage.  But unreasonable actions such as avoiding them all together because of some story about a bad occurrence, those you should ignore.

Personally I have been on three different SSRI's over the course of 25 years.  The first, Prozac (Fluoxetine) was beneficial but I still had some problems.  The next, Celexa (Citalopram) was better than before.  And the current one Lexapro (Escitalopram) is the best yet.  None of them completely cured me, i've still had to deal with OCD from time to time, but particularly on the latest one there have been long stretches of time (i'm talking months) where I barely even notice that I have OCD, and when I do its very very minor and I'm able to handle it quickly and easily using CBT techniques.  I've also been lucky in that i've noticed few side effects and they have been mild and as far as I can tell temporary.  I can not guarantee any outcome for you personally, but based on your own comments about your experience on Sertraline and the general positive benefits of SSRI's I think you should definitely work with your doctor to see if taking medication is a good idea for you in your current situation.  I fully expect to be on medication for the foreseeable future, possibly the rest of my life baring some miraculous OCD breakthrough, and I'm totally ok with that.  Yes it would be great not to have to rely on medication, but its WAY better than the alternative of dealing with the OCD at full strength.  I've tried going on low doses/no doses a few times over the years and every time the OCD came roaring back with a vengeance.  I've learned now what my good level of dosage is and i'm sticking with that.  If things get a bit rougher i can go a little higher for awhile, but then i like to come back down once things are under control.  I work with my doctor to manage that and so far so good.  Some people only take medication temporarily and are able to get to the point where they don't need it.  Others stick with it long term.  Ultimately that choice is up to you and your doctor based on your symptoms.  But i'd say its definitely worth it and even though there might still be some rough periods, don't give up on medication just because of that  Given how amazingly little we know about psychopharmacology its not surprising the results aren't always ideal, but better 90% or 80% or 50% of the time is still better than 0% of the time right?

Thank you so much for your thoughts and experience on medication. I just have to build up the courage to request an appointment. I am going to be referred for treatment at CADAT, but it is dependent on my GP agreeing to funding. So I don't know what the wait will be like and was wondering if a change in medication will help over that period. I wasn't sure whether to wait for the assessment or to act now. I would also hope it may help also with the low mood. Will think about my options.