Helping Each Other Over The Hurdles On The Way Towards Recovery

Yes.That is so. 

It helps I think if we consider our alert system as a sentry, primed to sound the alarm if warranted. 

The sentry will consider the threatening event, and will compare it against a back catalogue of events. If a match is found, and previously deemed to be necessary to sound the alert, the sentry will again press the alarm, and we will go into fight or flight response. 

If the sentry finds a match and there was no real threat, the sentry will stand down the alert. 

To tackle our anxiety issues that don't truly warrant an alert, such as OCD issues or irrational cognitive (thinking)  distortions, we need to do the cognitive behavioural therapy work that gives us the understanding to convince the sentry to stand down, there is no real alert. 

And the really good news is that once we have set that default in the sentry's memory inside of us, then the next time such a trigger comes, the sentry won't prese the alarm button.

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/10/2018 at 20:58, taurean said:

Hi efes. 

This is certainly likely if you have general anxiety disorder. 

But there is it would seem an OCD core belief hiding in there - "what if I suffer anxiety for one or two days for no apparent reason?". 

And because of the general anxiety, you probably are - which gives meaning to the core belief. 

General anxiety disorder itself is out of scope of the charity here and the forums, nor have I suffered from it, but will I imagine be on the remit of a CBT therapist. 

BTW, it's usually when the specific thought gets bad that it gets hard to relax. 

46 minutes ago, efes said:

BTW, it's usually when the specific thought gets bad that it gets hard to relax. 

That is quite usual. Try not to connect with the thought or give it meaning, then refocus away.