Waiting list for Psychiatrist

My daughter had been having therapy now since around the middle of May this year. Thought at the time she was real bad and could do with tablets and therapy together. Anyway she’s been having therapy mostly every week but she hasn’t made enough progress, well she was very bad and still really struggles. The therapist is keen to get her better and said with the type she had it is not so effective  to treat with therapy alone. So around the end of last month, over 4 months into her therapy we are at plan b medication and therapy (told you so months ago!) However its another waiting list and the therapist had no idea how long it is. She said she will push it as an urgent matter. What a farce. Therapist great but naff set up. Has anyone else got any experience waiting lists for medication assessments?

Edited by Orchid2016

Hi

I notice you are in Nottingham, have you thought about going to the Nottingham support group, which is actually run by Ashley and I am sure would be very beneficial?

I'm not sure how old your daughter is and whether it is appropriate for her, you could check with Ashley, but you would be very welcome, as i have been when we had a local support group.

https://www.ocduk.org/support-groups/nottingham/

There is one this coming week!

Hi Orchid, have you looked at the NICE guidelines for OCD - it covers children and young people specifically, so may be useful. I think they're more reluctant to prescribe SSRIs in young people because of the risk of increased suicidal ideation, and would prefer to trial CBT/ERP (with family input) on its own first. I was prescribed low dose Fluoxetine (and monitored) by my GP at seventeen because of depression that developed alongside the OCD. 

The shortages and over-demand on services leading to long waiting lists is incredibly frustrating, but especially in CAMHs. :( I'm sorry you're all dealing with this.

• 1 month later...

My daughter is 14, yes it is frustrating. I so wished I had paid out for her to see a private psychiatrist the start of this year, had I known what I know now about the long winded process I would have done as I knew she needed to be on medication as well. 

She was referred onto see a psychiatrist a few months back due to her stalling with therapy. She still drinks little water each day, all the therapy has done is helped her return to school but what now?

Her therapy has been suspended because she’s had about 40 sessions and the therapist manager will wonder what is going on if she had anymore. She can’t see the psychiatrist until February but unable to see the therapist again until she’s been on medication for 6 weeks. It’s been passed onto the school nurse to help mantain the progress she made in CBT until she can have the appropriate treatment.

It’s going to be about a 6 months wait for us from referral point by the time she is seen. Had no idea they had waiting lists to see other medical professionals. No wonder it takes to long for CAMHS to see children for first appointment as there’s children like my daughter have extended therapy to bridge the gap due to the shortage of Phychiatrist, that said her treatment has been messed up/delayed because she’s had what is seen as the maximum sessions.

She doesn’t just have OCD either, it’s been identified that the underlying problem is GAD. So two anxiety disorders, but problem is with GAD it doesn’t display noticeable behaviour like OCD. I believe the therapist is right with what she said because I have GAD to but SA instead of OCD. I think my daughter will get there eventually because she will get the right combination of treatment eventually. Once we become adults all they want to do is offer us 6 weeks talking therapy and tablets. Not really enough for a 25 year life long condition, shocking. In my view tablets are basically a plaster which make the problem less a problem so that it’s easier to deal with, hence why they can work well with therapy for some people but It’s the therapy that would substain the results. So really doctors shouldn’t offer tablets without therapy but that is what they do to adults, yet for kids they offer therapy alone because of the risks of suicide.