We need to work through CBT in order to recover from our OCD. 

But along the way learning relaxation techniques can calm down heightened anxiety arousal. 

And if we team that up with useful exercise, a sensible diet, and sleeping better, then these will all work alongside the CBT on our recovery journey. 

A therapist encouraged me to learn how to meditate. In its simplest form this is easy, and it helps to reduce nervous tension stress and anxiety and, if practised at night, can help us sleep since sleep can be elusive if we are in an agitated state. 

It's possible to buy guided meditation CDs, where a narrator with a soothing voice takes you on a journey to a calm place. These can also be streamed and downloaded. 

There is plenty of meditation material on YouTube too. 

I went to my health club this morning, enjoyed swimming a few lengths of the pool, then entered a deeply meditative state in the warm spa pool. 

I came out of the club with a big smile on my face, relaxed and ready to face the remainder of the day in a good light. 

I now also have added mindfulness practice to my relaxation toolkit, and this both anchors me in the present, in the moment, but also shifts focus from obsessing and carrying out compulsions and into just "being"  in a peaceful state with calm mind. 

1 hour ago, taurean said:

We need to work through CBT in order to recover from our OCD. 

But along the way learning relaxation techniques can calm down heightened anxiety arousal. 

And if we team that up with useful exercise, a sensible diet, and sleeping better, then these will all work alongside the CBT on our recovery journey. 

A therapist encouraged me to learn how to meditate. In its simplest form this is easy, and it helps to reduce nervous tension stress and anxiety and, if practised at night, can help us sleep since sleep can be elusive if we are in an agitated state. 

It's possible to buy guided meditation CDs, where a narrator with a soothing voice takes you on a journey to a calm place. These can also be streamed and downloaded. 

There is plenty of meditation material on YouTube too. 

I went to my health club this morning, enjoyed swimming a few lengths of the pool, then entered a deeply meditative state in the warm spa pool. 

I came out of the club with a big smile on my face, relaxed and ready to face the remainder of the day in a good light. 

I now also have added mindfulness practice to my relaxation toolkit, and this both anchors me in the present, in the moment, but also shifts focus from obsessing and carrying out compulsions and into just "being"  in a peaceful state with calm mind. 

I find mindfulness a good tool to run alongside CBT. I’ve found it really helpful to bring myself to a relaxing calm place when needed and my sleep pattern is so much better. In fact I’m going to enrol on another top up course :yes: