Panic Attack

Hi Everyone

I just had the most horrendous panic attack on my way back from work.  I've not really had one quite that bad before so it was pretty awful as many people on here will know.  My thoughts were also racing all over the place, every intrusive thought popping in, I was trying to let them go or just agree with them. 

I'm at home now with my feet up on the sofa watching some easy tv.  I feel a lot calmer thankfully. 

Does anyone have any other tips?

I find that doing some deep breathing meditation helps me since I can focus on the breathing and the rhythms. 

Another thing I sometimes do if it’s not at high levels yet but I feel like it’s coming on is to pop an Altoid mint in my mouth. It goes back to how I first dealt with stomach related anxieties (peppermint helps calm your stomach apparently?) I don’t really use it for that anymore but I do enjoy the flavor of it and focusing on the mint is a kind of mindfulness for me. 

19 hours ago, OB1 said:

Thanks, i’m trying the breathing techniques, i’ll try the peppermint idea too, my stomach had been pretty uncomfortable tbh so worth trying. 

I hope it helps. Just don’t let the mints turn in to a compulsion. For one, they are mostly sugar so it’s not good to have too many. For another, compulsions aren’t good for OCD :)

Since Friday things have been really up and down, I've been to work on Saturday and am really trying to face this down.  I just would really like to sleep as it's been really difficult. I was given some sleeping pills and Propranonol which are 10mg to be taken 3 times a day but it's not touching the knottiness in my stomach.  I'm going to try to get some of those Altoid mints later hopefully that will settle my stomach a little bit.  

I got out yesterday and spent a good afternoon with a friend which made me feel better and did some DIY when I got home, I'm really trying to carry on with life normally but there's a strong urge to run away (I know this is OCD telling me there's danger when it's not there).

I didn't go to work today as I barely slept again but I'm going to go back Wednesday, tomorrow I have an EMDR session so have the day off.  My intrusive thoughts are still all over the place, really battering me, switching to new but related themes about being assaulted, I'm doing my best to let them go and focus on what I'm doing.

Not really sure what else to say but I just wanted to reach out.