Real event obsession

About 5-6 years ago something happened which I still think a lot about. It creates a lot of guilt and depression in my mind. It was probably the catalyst for a lot of my depression and OCD. I would say that there was maybe a year since it happened where I managed to break free from thinking about it. 

For the past several months it's been on my mind a lot. Certain numbers, dates and places trigger memories of it. I've talked to people about it and they tell me not to worry. But I just can't stop thinking and beating myself up about it. Help?

The problem is Kirby we can spend years and years worrying and beating ourselves up about past events, but say if we spend the next twenty, thirty years worrying about it it still isn’t going to change a thing, it will still be the same, it’s gone and it’s done with and all the worrying won’t change a thing. We have to learn to accept things some times and use a little self compassion and forgiveness and then let it be because no good can ever come from it only years of torturing ourselves over past events that have gone. 

Guest OCDhavenobrain

I also obsess about real event stuff because then there are things which have happened. Like now today really hard to let it go because I am convinced something did happen and I read the news and there are actually cases. Now some people would say that it is unlikely, sure but some people get struck by lighting even if it is unlikely. 

I hate the anxiety it gives.

Also real events goes against your logic because something did happen, then do we have to think that it is unlikely that something more happened, I personally always find that the mind evade this. And maybe it should? How many crimes would Sherlock Holmes solve if he seriously thought that something was unlikely therefore it haven't happen? 

Some people say that you should accept the thing you fear, if you feel like you could take that anxiety maybe you could try that approach

Edited by OCDhavenobrain

I notice when you read books and articles, the OCD examples are often the kind of obvious (hand washing, checking doors etc.) or fairly outlandish ones that even the sufferers often sort of know are irrational. This makes it difficult to learn to recognize that an issue rooted close to reality is also still OCD ... it is real but we are exaggerating massively.

Guest OCDhavenobrain

I agree. Actually think Ocd is one of the most overöooked diagnosis. Sure handwashimgOCD is wellknown but the other areaas are not even known by most psychiatrists. Sad

14 hours ago, kirby42 said:

I understand what you're saying but I find it so hard to let go. I feel people who don't really know me would hate me if they knew what's going on in my head.

Typical OCD rationalization, which isn't very rational at all. Pretty much everyone has things from their past they aren't proud of. Not everyone dwells on it.