Would be grateful of any input

Hello everyone.

Been trying to stay away from the forums a lot more recently as was spamming and posting too much, sorry about that by the way. Just need a bit of support and somewhere to vent at the moment.

The medication has been a godsend the past few weeks and my mood has lifted a lot. Not anxious even half as much as I was and I'm able to let the thoughts sit a lot more than I was able to previously. There is an element of belief still which I am struggling with but not as much as I was. 

The problem I have and feel as though I've felt this for a good while is that I don't feel I can recall my own past? I guess this won't make sense to anyone but an example I can give to try and clarify is, ask anyone about an event or something that has happened previously to them and they can tell you a basic overview and general conclusion of said event or period of time. For me it's as though I don't know and don't remember the timeline (I don't mean just the night out but I mean the other things concerning that). I don't know if this is a common problem but I'm finding it difficult to ignore. Has anyone else felt this before and how do you persevere?

Any help appreciated as always. Thanks.

13 minutes ago, Headwreck said:

I guess this won't make sense to anyone but an example I can give to try and clarify is, ask anyone about an event or something that has happened previously to them and they can tell you a basic overview and general conclusion of said event or period of time.

Yes sometimes someone can but not always, just worth pointing out. Memory and particularly depending on memory can make OCD sufferers expect a lot from themselves. An average person will remember what they remember without expectation.

15 minutes ago, Headwreck said:

For me it's as though I don't know and don't remember the timeline (I don't mean just the night out but I mean the other things concerning that).

Very typical, especially when you have checked and checked your memory. In fact there have been studies done, showing how checking lowers confidence in memory. 

How do you persevere? Well the key is to see that thinking more will only lead to more uncertainty and lowering of confidence, so it is literally pointless. Sometimes average people don't remember things, but they just shrug their shoulders and move on because not doing so could ruin their life, they know that, but usually inflated responsibility in OCD sufferers overrides this 'let it go' attitude. You have to practise being like the average person and see how your life improves because of it. 

Hi headwreck. I would take comfort in the comfort that the medication is providing and not look for new sources of worry. Do not goggle nor search for explanations nor make any comparisons. You enjoy a break! On this Sunday do things that give you gratification.

Guest OCDhavenobrain

Well this is most definitly yet another worry. Good thing that medicine helps you, try to use that opportunity and go against the fears. I think many people with OCD gets relief from medication but then do they still feel the doubt and we still try to figure it out and then it is back to square 1