I might have cancer- two week referral- scared!

Thanks Wonderer and thanks for all the support guys.

I had an ultrasound which showed benign inflammation and thickening, which apparently can just happen sometimes. Apart from that some of the texture change is from a fungal infection. I am so relieved  but also exhausted from over a fortnight of worrying! 

Edited by BelAnna
  • Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

26 minutes ago, BelAnna said:

Thanks Wonderer and thanks for all the support guys.

I had an ultrasound which showed benign inflammation and thickening, which apparently can just happen sometimes. Apart from that some of the texture change is from a fungal infection. I am so relieved  but also exhausted from over a fortnight of worrying! 

I’m so happy for you! That’s wonderful news!

Get a good nights rest and treat yourself tomorrow. Xxx

When my wife and I were facing potentially very bad news, twice this year, on her health, we decided not to worry - it would just make us ill and achieve nothing. 

We accepted the position placidly and carried on with life meantime. 

We still haven't got to the bottom of what is wrong and she is under two consultants - but we are simply carrying on with our lives - concerned? yes, worried? no, happy? very. 

I think in the great game of life any form of worry is an unhelpful, distress -causing, time-wasting compulsion. 

In OCD the worry is caused by believing the OCD core belief. So, to stop that, we have to learn, and see, that that OCD core belief is false, exaggerated or irrationally revulsive.

Edited by taurean
2 hours ago, Emsie said:

I’m so happy for you! That’s wonderful news!

Get a good nights rest and treat yourself tomorrow. Xxx

Thanks so much Emsie!! I'm so relieved. A tiny part of my mind is questioning why I have deep-tissue inflammation and tissue-thickening in my right breast and what might have caused that but I'm trying not to overthink it as the consultant must be able to tell!

I've lost lots of weight with the worry but had lots of yummy food tonight to celebrate! xxx

2 hours ago, PolarBear said:

So, now that you know, what are you going to do going forward? What can you do differently?

Thank you Polar :) I think I've learnt quite a lot over the last month and particularly in the last fortnight; about how OCD really shouldn't have a place in my life and about needing to push forward and do everything I can. If I do have another health concern (this is the first time I've had one!) I will also try not to jump to the worst possible conclusion! 

1 hour ago, taurean said:

When my wife and I were facing potentially very bad news, twice this year, on her health, we decided not to worry - it would just make us ill and achieve nothing. 

We accepted the position placidly and carried on with life meantime. 

We still haven't got to the bottom of what is wrong and she is under two consultants - but we are simply carrying on with our lives - concerned? yes, worried? no, happy? very. 

I think in the great game of life any form of worry is an unhelpful, distress -causing, time-wasting compulsion. 

In OCD the worry is caused by believing the OCD core belief. So, to stop that, we have to learn, and see, that that OCD core belief is false, exaggerated or irrationally revulsive.

Thank you Roy, you've both been amazing to just keep going through it. Thinking of you both. It's inspiring to hear your reaction to the situation.

My Dad had heart surgery earlier this year and my Mum had a scan that showed an unruptured brain aneurysm and I'm wondering if the stress of repeated serious worries has just made me very anxious this time around! I think if another situation arises I will try to respond differently! :) 

5 hours ago, Wonderer said:

Hey, I meant to say belanna that it was a mark on my breast and a rash on my nipple that provoked me to doing a breast examination and finding the lump so u can imagine that I had symptoms of IBC, pageats disease AND a tumour and despite having all 3 symptoms I did not have BC at all so please don’t overthink things, the doctors will know and u need to take their word for it! Good luck x

Sorry that I didn't reply to this Wonderer- that must have been scary, you did well to keep it together so brilliantly and I'm glad it was benign too! x

Edited by BelAnna
6 hours ago, BelAnna said:

So happy for you that the outcome was good!  :clap:

6 hours ago, dksea said:

So happy for you that the outcome was good!  :clap:a

Thank you Dksea! I'm honestly quite shocked that it's benign (and worrying a little about what has caused the deep tissue inflammation and thickening but not going to let OCD doubt cause problems again!)! :) 

10 hours ago, BelAnna said:

Thanks so much Emsie!! I'm so relieved. A tiny part of my mind is questioning why I have deep-tissue inflammation and tissue-thickening in my right breast and what might have caused that but I'm trying not to overthink it as the consultant must be able to tell!

I've lost lots of weight with the worry but had lots of yummy food tonight to cele

I’m so pleased for you and that you can put all of this behind you now. 

Don’t let the OCD pull you in with any questions, leave it be. You got the best outcome ever. That’s great you had lots of yummy food last night to celebrate. Xxx

15 minutes ago, gingerbreadgirl said:

Be very careful of this belanna. Don't get sucked in. Ocd is tempting you in at this point - make sure you stay well away. 

Excellent advice from GBG, BelAnna. Xxx

2 hours ago, gingerbreadgirl said:

Be very careful of this belanna. Don't get sucked in. Ocd is tempting you in at this point - make sure you stay well away. 

Thank you, you're right, I'm trying not to get sucked in! xx

2 hours ago, Emsie said:

I’m so pleased for you and that you can put all of this behind you now. 

Don’t let the OCD pull you in with any questions, leave it be. You got the best outcome ever. That’s great you had lots of yummy food last night to celebrate. Xxx

Thank you Emsie! xx

1 hour ago, Wonderer said:

Amazing news belanna! Happy for u! Aaaannnd relax! X

Thank you Wonderer! I 'debriefed' with my Psychologist this morning and I'm now going to relax! xx

Whether we have health, harm, contamination, or any other form of OCD, avoidance - or fear of the alleged OCD threat - just erodes our life experience. 

For Belanna it caused two weeks of unnecessary distress. We can all learn from this. 

24 minutes ago, Bodger said:

Fantastic news. You did everything right even though doctors are a challenge. Well done.

I bet the actual result never came up on the internet!! Learn from that.

Thank you Bodger- I'm exhausted from all the stress of yesterday and all the OCD issues that came up with having to go to hospital, sit in a waiting room next to hospital toilets, deal with lots of people etc. I was very lucky and I'm so sorry you had to go through what you went through.

4 minutes ago, taurean said:

Whether we have health, harm, contamination, or any other form of OCD, avoidance - or fear of the alleged OCD threat - just erodes our life experience. 

For Belanna it caused two weeks of unnecessary distress. We can all learn from this. 

Hi Roy,

you are a brilliant person but I don't really agree with you 100% in this situation (maybe 90%!). I had an urgent referral to a breast clinic, which makes most (not all but most) women anxious. I have inflammation that is benign rather than malignant and there was no way of knowing without an ultrasound so although my OCD was playing on the doubt, I would definitely have felt anxious and distressed even without OCD- it just made things a lot worse!

If it had been the inflammatory form of breast cancer I would likely not have lived to 35 and I'm sure that all that Googling did not help in this situation so I definitely didn't respond in a good way but I do think I would have felt anxious anyway! 

Edited by BelAnna
52 minutes ago, BelAnna said:

Thank you Bodger- I'm exhausted from all the stress of yesterday and all the OCD issues that came up with having to go to hospital, sit in a waiting room next to hospital toilets, deal with lots of people etc. I was very lucky and I'm so sorry you had to go through what you went through.

Hi Roy,

you are a brilliant person but I don't really agree with you 100% in this situation (maybe 90%!). I had an urgent referral to a breast clinic, which makes most (not all but most) women anxious. I have inflammation that is benign rather than malignant and there was no way of knowing without an ultrasound so although my OCD was playing on the doubt, I would definitely have felt anxious and distressed even without OCD- it just made things a lot worse!

If it had been the inflammatory form of breast cancer I would likely not have lived to 35 and I'm sure that all that Googling did not help in this situation so I definitely didn't respond in a good way but I do think I would have felt anxious anyway! 

I agree regarding the 10% -  fair comment, there is something there. 

But still the - non-OCD - way forward is to be concerned, of course, but not worried :)

1 hour ago, taurean said:

Thanks Roy, just to say I do agree with this ^^^^ and with pretty much everything else and really really appreciate your help!