Just dropped in to say hello and I’m still ocd free!

Hello all just dropped in to say hi and hope everyone is doing better, iv been ocd free for 6 months now, not one obsession! Maybe I’m dealing with it better now and I just don’t notice them, but I have to say unless you are truly fed up with this disorder and willing to suffer to get better you will find it very hard to break free from it. I feel a lot different now, hit a brick wall at first as my mood was very flat as the ocd had just taken its toll and then I felt I was left with nothing, but I’m filling my time now just completed my level 1 in beauty therapy and starting level 2 soon. Trying to fill my mind with things I enjoy instead of it being filled with ocd, and it works as you have other things to focus on, gives you drive to keep going, my low mood is a bit better and I’m sure will pick up a bit more in the future. Ocd is a big fat lie! I can’t say il be free forever of ocd as that’s never the case but I know I can get to the stage where it no longer bothers me and that’s my goal! ? 

Congrats Donna!  Best of luck on your studies and your life!  Its great to hear these positive stories of people overcoming their OCD as a reminder to others that its possible!  Kudos for taking the time to come back and share!

Excellent to hear this Donna and it will encourage others to get the CBT knowledge and do the necessary homework. 

I am 18 months free, other than two very minor blips.  I had especially challenging extra difficulties but from the good people here I found the missing links to tackling these. 

We have to discover how OCD works, stop believing it, stop reacting with worthless compulsions to break free. 

Sufferers want quick fixes, but there are none. It's a gradual process of learning, exposure, resisting, refocusing keeping beneficially busy and riding any storms. 

And it does work :thumbup:

7 hours ago, taurean said:

Excellent to hear this Donna and it will encourage others to get the CBT knowledge and do the necessary homework. 

I am 18 months free, other than two very minor blips.  I had especially challenging extra difficulties but from the good people here I found the missing links to tackling these. 

We have to discover how OCD works, stop believing it, stop reacting with worthless compulsions to break free. 

Sufferers want quick fixes, but there are none. It's a gradual process of learning, exposure, resisting, refocusing keeping beneficially busy and riding any storms. 

And it does work :thumbup:

Thank you! It does work, we just need a bit of courage to keep trying and the more you practise the easier it gets, my problem was answering questions that popped into my head searching for the answer to everything, but in reality you can’t answer everything and it isn’t necessary. I think CBT takes a while to finally click. Iv probably had a bad day or two in the last few months but that’s a big improvement from being stuck in my head every day. I wish others a healthy happy recovery, and remember you can do it! ? 

7 hours ago, dksea said:

Congrats Donna!  Best of luck on your studies and your life!  Its great to hear these positive stories of people overcoming their OCD as a reminder to others that its possible!  Kudos for taking the time to come back and share!

Thank you ? 

Guest OCDhavenobrain

Good thing! I am happy for you.

I am also doing good I guess, I mean I am actually doing other things than thinking about OCD. I even get those moments where I get a little bit cocky. But I am still reading your stories and my intention is to help other OCD-sufferers , it is just like when you get a pause from OCD it feels like you don't want to involve with it. 

For me a BIG realisation was that thinking about recovering from OCD actually is an obsession, ONE BIG OBSESSION, so I just stopped to try and forced myself to look where  I have my focus. Now many of you will say that that might be true but it doesn't apply to everyone, I would say that most of us who are well-read on the matter will probably have this as one BIG obsession. People are overcomming it with much less knowledge than you guys have, it is NOT about knowledge, and getting it perfect, it is about not involving. People here are a little minority when it comes to knowledge about OCD, you are all very well-read on the matter. It can be hard to see that you are knowledgeable when you actually are. 

Edited by OCDhavenobrain
17 hours ago, Atlantis said:

How did you get better? 

Persistence and a willingness to beat ocd, I was just well and truly fed up of this disorder running my life! Just take a jump and have a bit of faith and embrace uncertainty, let your obsession sit there and don’t do anything with it, it works! Then after a while you realise that it is actually part of the illness and not you. It needs to be practised every day until you get better and better at it and the obsessions don’t pop up as often. 

It felt like my mind had nothing to do since the constant obsessing had stopped and I felt quite flat. And had all this empty space in my head to fill. That’s when I started my beauty training. Ruminating was another habit I had all day every day used to drive me crazy, you just treat it the same way as an obsession, leave it alone. It is hard to do, in fact it’s absolute torture to do cbt but that’s why it works so well, your teaching your brain that it’s ok to be uncertain and it’s a habit you have to unlearn. I am far from perfect, I still have the odd one or two obsessions every now and again but they are not as strong as they used to be and they do get weaker over time.

Edited by Donnahoney1
Spelling