Recommendations for therapy? Ive been let down.

I started corresponding with dr phillipsons office last monday then emailed again to get a response on weds, I was told to wait two days, I had to email again on the monday, to which I was told a therapist should be in touch, and asked my budget I told them my budget is the minimum $80.  I was then contacted on Tuesday by a therapist who gave me today as a time slot, I was then sent forms, to fill in, I then filled the forms in and sent them over, then late last night an attempt was made to take 160 pounds from my account, I then have emailed today and am yet to hear anything, the only thing this could probably be is this therapy, since yesterday I have had no notification that they received the forms, it is now "the day of therapy" and I have had no correspondence in terms of skyping, payment, etc, it will be morning there, but still to leave it to the day of the therapy to have this arranged?

Anyway Ive DECIDED i am NOT going through with this, based on this so far, it is not reassuring at all, if this is how they are approaching the intake, how the heck are they approaching the therapy itself, its like I am fighting to pay for therapy? what the heck. Anyway, if anyone has any other recommendations Im all ears.

5 hours ago, humbleno1 said:

Anyway Ive DECIDED i am NOT going through with this, based on this so far, it is not reassuring at all, if this is how they are approaching the intake, how the heck are they approaching the therapy itself, its like I am fighting to pay for therapy? what the heck. Anyway, if anyone has any other recommendations Im all ears.

I wouldn't feel comfortable following through with them either after your experience, maybe they're just incredibly busy with too many clients and too few therapists, but whatever the reason I think you're making the right decision.

Onwards and upwards though, have you tried finding someone through the British Association of Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapies (BABCP)? Their site here has a list of accredited therapists listed regionally, there should be someone fairly close to you or who may offer appointments via Skype...most do, although I'm not really a big fan of it, but maybe that's just me being stuck in the Dark Ages:a1_cheesygrin:

I don't know if this will help narrow the search down for you, but a few therapists were recommended to me by Ashley when I was looking for help, they might be worth getting in touch with:

Dr Lauren Callaghan (East London) http://themindworks.co.uk/

Dr Elizabeth Forrester (Petts Wood) - http://www.dreforrester.co.uk/ (offers treatment via Skype).

Dr Stephanie Fitzgerald - http://www.fitzgeraldpsychology.com/ (offers telephone/Skype therapy).

Whoever you plump for though, maybe give them a call and have a chat to them. Get a sense of the person and their manner and go from there. Something else that's pretty useful is the charity's guide to finding a therapist (here) which outlines the kind of questions to ask before the therapy gets going.

Good luck:)

Hi humbleno1. In my experience, phillipson's office is useless. I spent hundreds (Really my mum and dad did) to speak to one of his cheaper therapists ($160 a session!) who  was very blasé about the seasons and sat like a big lump sucking away on a giant cup of something from Starbucks. Every week. My mum actually told him to his face that he was a charlatan! I was embarrassed at the time, but go her! :) the guy's name was Nick and his surname rhymes with 'pervert'. So don't choose that guy. I think a lot of people in the OCD community particularly on an old defunct US OCD forum 'stuckinadoorway' viewed Phillipson as some kind of saviour. It was sort of taboo to say he was more invested in the cashola than in helping people. Vulnerable desperate people got sucked in.. 

I have no idea who a good therapist would be, it's really luck of the draw. Look for someone less expensive and not on Skype. I think Skype sessions are useless for emotive matters. Just don't give up on trying to source help.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/11/2018 at 01:15, Orwell1984 said:

Hi humbleno1. In my experience, phillipson's office is useless. I spent hundreds (Really my mum and dad did) to speak to one of his cheaper therapists ($160 a session!) who  was very blasé about the seasons and sat like a big lump sucking away on a giant cup of something from Starbucks. Every week. My mum actually told him to his face that he was a charlatan! I was embarrassed at the time, but go her! :) the guy's name was Nick and his surname rhymes with 'pervert'. So don't choose that guy. I think a lot of people in the OCD community particularly on an old defunct US OCD forum 'stuckinadoorway' viewed Phillipson as some kind of saviour. It was sort of taboo to say he was more invested in the cashola than in helping people. Vulnerable desperate people got sucked in.. 

I have no idea who a good therapist would be, it's really luck of the draw. Look for someone less expensive and not on Skype. I think Skype sessions are useless for emotive matters. Just don't give up on trying to source help.

Thats interesting, erm, I got that impression also, to be honest. And thats pretty sad, I was on SIAD myself and I do think phillipson himself is pretty knowledgable but if hes hiring people like this it makes me wonder. That really sucks.