If You Are Feeling Depressed, Clap Your Hands!

As expected, we've made quite a loud noise. :(

Because sadly depression is a pretty standard consequence of OCD, when we just can't seem to make progress, and remain stuck. 

I think this is where the forums can be very helpful. If we open up about our OCD problems, quite often fellow sufferers can see things we ourselves aren't aware of, suggest ways to tackle things that should oil the wheels of recovery.

Depending on the degree of depression more specific medical assistance, maybe medication, may also be needed. 

It was just a storyline working that came into my head to start a topic off. 

Yes, we'd probably more likely be wringing our hands - because it's a terrible place to be, and a place I have myself been a number of times :(

Edited by taurean

This made me chuckle quite heartily, ironically ? yeah, things are tough right now, probably for lots of people here. But earlier, at work when I was having a bit of an episode, I remembered somebody recently told me ‘It’s okay if things are tough, just be kind to yourself’ and that alone made me feel lots better. It’s all to easy to beat oneself up when feeling depressed, I know I do for sure.

28 minutes ago, Ollie46 said:

This made me chuckle quite heartily, ironically ? yeah, things are tough right now, probably for lots of people here. But earlier, at work when I was having a bit of an episode, I remembered somebody recently told me ‘It’s okay if things are tough, just be kind to yourself’ and that alone made me feel lots better. It’s all to easy to beat oneself up when feeling depressed, I know I do for sure.

Maybe I should review the topic title as it being part of reverse psychology :)

Being kind to ourselves is definitely good. In fact, the basics behind love kindness meditation is exactly that, and it can certainly make a difference - especially if OCD is screeching in our ears "you are bad, you should be punished" - it's favourite, but false, maxim. 

Edited by taurean

This forum really makes me feel like I'm not alone. Sometimes I just read people's posts and feel relief in knowing that I'm not the only one who feels this way. I have also realised that in many situations, I can see the right way to do things and know what kind of advice to give, but when I'm personally in a similar situation I find it hard to follow my own advice :lol:

I find strangely that depression (or at least feeling very down) can almost feel like a relief when I am in the grips of ocd. I'm sorry if that offends  anyone, but sometimes I think my brain just can't take it anymore and sort of shuts down. Then when my mood improves my ocd gets worse again. It's strange. I am finding though that by pushing through this cycle I start to feel better and I am on quite an even keel now. So I guess the answer is to just stick with it, keep working the CBT, and hang on. 

7 hours ago, ExpectoPatronum said:

Very, very depressed, and I can’t seem to get out of it. And no motivation to do anything I might enjoy.

Try this Expecto :

When I was in the depth of despair my therapist gave me the "ACE"  plan to use daily, until I had pulled myself out of the mire into which I had sunk mentally and emotionally. 

A is for Achievement 

C is for Closeness to Others 

E is for Enjoyment. 

I was to look to find one or more of each of those to do every day. 

It got my juices going and if I managed one, I would try to do another. 

By the time it had pulled me round I was easily managing several of each, and felt tons better for it 

4 hours ago, gingerbreadgirl said:

I find strangely that depression (or at least feeling very down) can almost feel like a relief when I am in the grips of ocd. I'm sorry if that offends  anyone, but sometimes I think my brain just can't take it anymore and sort of shuts down. Then when my mood improves my ocd gets worse again. It's strange. I am finding though that by pushing through this cycle I start to feel better and I am on quite an even keel now. So I guess the answer is to just stick with it, keep working the CBT, and hang on. 

I think this is where the use of medication, in the concept of "waterwings"  to keep us floating and not sink, has some relevance. 

The SSRI drugs are, primarily anti-depressants and so can level out our mood and aid engagement with therapy. 

For some, they do nothing for their actual OCD; for others they reduce intrusions in some significant way, so they say. 

For me, I hope to come off meds after gradual reduction next year - but certainly doubt I would have coped without them during a very challenging last two years. 

What do I think they do for me?  Give me waterwings, balance mood and aid mental resilience. 

I can understand that. I have been prescribed fluoxetine but choose not to take it  - I know it's in the drawer though. For me though I didn't want to become dependent on medication (as I get hooked on things very easily) as I felt like I would feel like I could never live a normal life without it, plus I didn't want the side effects.  I do try to keep my mood in the red, so to speak. I think a lot of lifestyle factors can affect this just as much as meds. But also everyone is different, of course. 

The meds do seem to get over-prescribed don't they? 

They aren't an easy use - and they take some time to get into the system, and need a careful programme of withdrawal to come off them. And yes there may be side effects (not always only initial ones). 

So their use needs pros and cons evaluating I think, per patient, rather than just a standard prescribe. 

15 hours ago, taurean said:

Try this Expecto :

When I was in the depth of despair my therapist gave me the "ACE"  plan to use daily, until I had pulled myself out of the mire into which I had sunk mentally and emotionally. 

A is for Achievement 

C is for Closeness to Others 

E is for Enjoyment. 

I was to look to find one or more of each of those to do every day. 

It got my juices going and if I managed one, I would try to do another. 

By the time it had pulled me round I was easily managing several of each, and felt tons better for it 

Thank you taurean. I haven’t heard of the ACE plan before. I’ll give it my best shot. I assume there is no recommended ordering or sequence, correct? 

I like that ACE thing, Roy! Nice and easy to remember, making baby steps that can make a real difference. With me the first one to go is "c" if I'm feeling rubbish. 

Another one I might add is self care. Things like showering, tidying, eating some fruit and veg, not drinking too much alcohol /caffeine etc, getting some exercise, drinking some water and so on. I feel little things like this can give you a sense that you have some control over your life. 

1 hour ago, ExpectoPatronum said:

Thank you taurean. I haven’t heard of the ACE plan before. I’ll give it my best shot. I assume there is no recommended ordering or sequence, correct? 

No special order or sequence - it's a question of looking to gradually make - then take - little opportunities to get us up and going again :)

What I think is especially useful is that "closeness to others"  is what OCD doesn't want us to be - it wants to personally restrict, then marginalise us. 

So this helps us to resist that, and build /rebuild social involvement - at a sensible pace we can cope with. 

No time pressures, no challenging goals - we go at our own pace, looking to shift momentum upwards, accepting then facing out any setbacks. 

It got me up and out of a massive "Slough of Despond" ( John Bunyan "Pilgrim's Progress").