Son whose not had a diagnosis

My son is doing a PGCE at university. He went to see GP at home in the summer who refered him to a IAPT Councillor for CBT as he was having bad thoughts that disgust him which he hasn't really disclosed to me but he's yet to have a diagnosis. He's been to see a councillor nearer to uni, disclosed everything and because of nature of thoughts it's been flagged up by the local authority as a safeguarding issue and uni has pulled him from his school placement this week! Uni are saying until they have an official report and diagnosis from a Psychiatrist he cannot continue and and it will probably take weeks/months so having to differ till next year. That means having to find a job to survive in the meantime. I need URGENT  advice please he has a meeting with uni tomorrow. Thank You!

Hi there,

This has happened before to others unfortunately, there's just still so much ignorance surrounding OCD even amongst so called professionals. 

You really need to call Ashley, the charity's Chief Executive, he's helped others in exactly the same boat, his no's:

03332 127 890

I'll also flag this up with him in the mod's forum and hopefully you may be able to talk to him before the meeting.

I'm so sorry your son and you as a family and being put through this, but it will be resolved.

1 hour ago, MintCake said:

My son is doing a PGCE at university. He went to see GP at home in the summer who refered him to a IAPT Councillor for CBT as he was having bad thoughts that disgust him which he hasn't really disclosed to me but he's yet to have a diagnosis. He's been to see a councillor nearer to uni, disclosed everything and because of nature of thoughts it's been flagged up by the local authority as a safeguarding issue and uni has pulled him from his school placement this week! Uni are saying until they have an official report and diagnosis from a Psychiatrist he cannot continue and and it will probably take weeks/months so having to differ till next year. That means having to find a job to survive in the meantime. I need URGENT  advice please he has a meeting with uni tomorrow. Thank You!

Totally agree with Hal's response - get on to Ashley. Depending on which university it is, they may have a psychology department and a professor or someone there who would be willing to help. Counselling service absolutely should know better. This is a total disgrace.

2 hours ago, hagenilda said:

Totally agree with Hal's response - get on to Ashley. Depending on which university it is, they may have a psychology department and a professor or someone there who would be willing to help. Counselling service absolutely should know better. This is a total disgrace.

2 hours ago, hagenilda said:

Pity that we live in a world that a) it still happens b) the huge implications that it can have on person , and persons involved 

much to do still , on this aspect , maybe 

8 minutes ago, Legend said:

Pity that we live in a world that a) it still happens b) the huge implications that it can have on person , and persons involved 

much to do still , on this aspect , maybe 

I have numerous strands of OCD including it causes me to hoard. When my son told this to the so called hospital therapist he implied that you wouldn't expect someone with OCD  to hoard!