What if I don't actually have OCD?

In the past few months, I was diagnosed as a case of OCD. For instances that seemed real to me and I felt sure of, were inferred as OCD by my psychiatrist. I have been on medication for the past two months. I used to have bouts before where I would just cry.

I have been told I have OCD with sexual thoughts. For nine months I kept crying and going over an episode a zillion times in my head for I felt sure that I slept with a guy and cheated on my fiancé. A similar instance and then few instances where I would be scared to get out of the house because I was extremely worried I would do something with someone and therefore constantly update people about what I am doing, my whereabouts etc. Somehow that first instance was something I could not get over. Having all this, I visited the psychiatrist to realize that I have OCD with sexual thoughts. I have been visiting her and she is really understanding and patient with me. She is sure that it is OCD and she believes first instance was the start of the OCD.

But what nags me now is what if it is not OCD? While I am sure I cheated on my fiancé, my psychiatrist is certain that these intrusive thoughts causing me anxiety.

What if I don't have OCD and I have genuinely screwed and been a cheater? Someone may say I am doubting which is a characteristic of OCD, but no really what if I do not have OCD, is it a shield to shy away from the sins one commits?

It's only a sin if yoh believe it to be. In addition, what about forgiveness,? You have the ability to forgive yourself.

However, if you are dpending inordinste amounts of time ruminating about thoughts of prior actions, it is OCD. 

Your thought patterns would strongly suggest that you have OCD. This whole guilt and second guessing whether you have done something are very typical symptoms. I think you perceive cheating to be something awful and something that would spin your life out of control. This is why you’re obsessing over it. You have to believe this and force yourself to change these patterns of thinking.

14 hours ago, Pranjali said:

But what nags me now is what if it is not OCD? While I am sure I cheated on my fiancé, my psychiatrist is certain that these intrusive thoughts causing me anxiety.

What if I don't have OCD and I have genuinely screwed and been a cheater? Someone may say I am doubting which is a characteristic of OCD, but no really what if I do not have OCD, is it a shield to shy away from the sins one commits?

How about we consider the opposite: What if it IS OCD?  What if you have a genuine condition and are necessarily torturing yourself about something that never happened and is outside your control?  You've been assessed by a medical professional who believes your problem is OCD.  The behavior your describe and the posts you make here suggest to all of us that its OCD too.  I don't know if this saying is common in India, but its pretty well known in America:  "If it looks like a duck, and walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, its a duck".

Now, its not unusual for someone with OCD to doubt their diagnosis of OCD.  Its pretty common really.  This is just another area where the doubt caused by OCD creeps in.  "What if..." is the hallmark question of OCD.  The best thing you can do for yourself right now is to assume it is OCD and do your best to listen to your therapist and take her advice.