The best approach?

2 minutes ago, OCDhavenobrain said:

I saw Gingerbread ask the same question today. There is no fancy way, it will only make you ruminate about how you should recover. Do other things which change your focus away from involving in the thoughts

Atleast that is the idea, I think it is pretty hard lol.  Hope you find some luck in trying to dismiss them. 

Thank you for your reply. I’m not currently having an ocd episode so there are no thoughts at the moment. I’m not ruminating about the best way either, although I can see how that could become a problem for some. I just genuinely want to get it right and not turn my dismissing of thoughts in to another compulsion. 

I don’t/can’t avoid triggers so I just want to learn further now that my therapy has finished. The reason I ask is because some ways of dismissing the thoughts would actually be a compulsion or run the risk of becoming one, so I do think it’s an important question. 

Thank you for your good luck wishes and the same back to you. X

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest OCDhavenobrain

I think it is 100% OCD and it will only keep you involved. I had that problem myself, well, i falled back now recently. But I actually did my best after this summer where I just did other things, no thinking about "how" or "when" one should attack OCD, I just did other things, every time OCD comes you have to dismiss the thought. 

Edited by OCDhavenobrain
Guest OCDhavenobrain
38 minutes ago, Emsie said:

Thank you for your reply. I’m not currently having an ocd episode so there are no thoughts at the moment. I’m not ruminating about the best way either, although I can see how that could become a problem for some. I just genuinely want to get it right and not turn my dismissing of thoughts in to another compulsion. 

I don’t/can’t avoid triggers so I just want to learn further now that my therapy has finished. The reason I ask is because some ways of dismissing the thoughts would actually be a compulsion or run the risk of becoming one, so I do think it’s an important question. 

Thank you for your good luck wishes and the same back to you. X

I have to stay with my belief here, I think this is a tricky trick from the OCD. The OCD tells you that it needs to be executed perfectly. 

edit (10minutes later). I could be wrong here, it could be me who are guilty of black and white thinking but I really do not believe that. I really do believe that our OCD manifests in so many ways and that it will creep back in to our attention to the point to we need to take a step back and use "focus" as our tool. 

Edited by OCDhavenobrain
Guest OCDhavenobrain
12 minutes ago, gingerbreadgirl said:

I think honestly ocdhavenobrain you oversimplify ocd, I think emsie's question is perfectly reasonable and as she says she isn't even having an ocd episode at the moment . 

Overcomming OCD is incredible simple. 

It is our feelings which makes us suffer, it is then when we are going back to our bully.

Now however, do I really really need to compensate for how this may come across. And say that I wish that we all can find the strength to do this work. You said you were out of therapy. I myself find that I have a compulsion about being in therapy, I feel kinda lonely when I am not under "supervision". It probably started long ago. Maybe you could be aware of this, do you feel secure when you are having a therapist, could it be that it get's too much of an security?

A sidenote: we have had OCD for a long time, it have become a part of who we are, and everything that we as humans do for a long time makes us feel safe. So there is a dimension about overcomming OCD where we have to reshape our identity, where we step out from the role of "having OCD". 

Take care :yes:

Edited by OCDhavenobrain
17 minutes ago, OCDhavenobrain said:

I think it is 100% OCD and it will only keep you involved. I had that problem myself, well, i falled back now recently. But I actually did my best after this summer where I just did other things, no thinking about "how" or "when" one should attack OCD, I just did other things, every time OCD comes you have to dismiss the thought. 

Trust me it’s not OCD. Overcoming OCD is not an obsession for me. OCD is telling me nothing on this. It’s a perfectly rational question, I’m learning that’s all. I’m more than my OCD and I just don’t want to dismiss thoughts with a compulsion, hence my question.  My therapy has finished but I still want to improve further for myself and my family. 

The basics of OCD and CBT can be simplified in terms of precis - see my "knowing what to do"  thread -  but no way is it simple to put into practice. 

It is a vicious challenging illness with repetitive, sticking, thoughts and compulsive urges - and overcoming it can be one very long journey. 

This is so so much why I love this place. Challenges  along the path towards recovery are legion - but here we can get, as a collective, right to the heart of the matter with threads such as this. 

1 minute ago, taurean said:

The basics of OCD and CBT can be simplified in terms of precis - see my "knowing what to do"  thread -  but no way is it simple to put into practice. 

It is a vicious challenging illness with repetitive, sticking, thoughts and compulsive urges - and overcoming it can be one very long journey. 

This is so so much why I love this place. Challenges  along the path towards recovery are legion - but here we can get, as a collective, right to the heart of the matter with threads such as this. 

:goodpost:

1 hour ago, Emsie said:

Hi PB,

Thank you for your advice and support. Yes, consistency is the key.

Can I please ask you, what method do you think is best for dismissing the thoughts? X

There's not really a method. You just do it. You should be able to tell what is an intrusive thought. It pops into your head, it causes you distress. After a bit, it compels you to do domething about it. Recognize it and dismiss it as irrelevant. I started out by thinking, I'm not going to deal with that right now, then returning my gocus to whatever I happened yo be doing.

At first, the anxiety would linger for quite some time. Over time, it lingered for less and less time, making it easier to dismiss future intrusive thoughts. Hmmm, I guess that is a method!

22 minutes ago, PolarBear said:

There's not really a method. You just do it. You should be able to tell what is an intrusive thought. It pops into your head, it causes you distress. After a bit, it compels you to do domething about it. Recognize it and dismiss it as irrelevant. I started out by thinking, I'm not going to deal with that right now, then returning my gocus to whatever I happened yo be doing.

At first, the anxiety would linger for quite some time. Over time, it lingered for less and less time, making it easier to dismiss future intrusive thoughts. Hmmm, I guess that is a method!

That’s great PB, thank you so much. X

Just now, gingerbreadgirl said:

Such a good point and I think it can be quite minimising to have everything we say dismissed as "ocd talking". This is one reason I am reluctant to tell people about my ocd. 

Thank you GBG. I agree....this thread had nothing to do with my OCD talking, I can tell that without a doubt by how I’m feeling and behaving. It was simply about learning. I hope it’s helped others too. I totally get where you’re coming from and sometimes I do have to say to my husband ‘this is not my OCD’. Thank you so much for all your help recently, you’re a star! X

Guest OCDhavenobrain

I am sorry but I think that is what is going on here. You are having a fear that you are doing compulsions when you dismiss so you have to use a method so you don't do compulsions. That seems to be fearbased and pretty sketchy to me. Seems like some rational I would expect from the OCD.

I won't even answer that last bit, because I don't even take offence in the fact that I obviously do have OCD. We are more than our OCD, well yes we are! I take more offence in it bullying me. I guess I did answer it. That however is more a question of personal opinions I guess. 

Edited by OCDhavenobrain
2 minutes ago, OCDhavenobrain said:

I am sorry but I think that is what is going on here. You are having a fear that you are doing compulsions when you dismiss so you have to use a method so you don't do compulsions. That seems to be fearbased and pretty sketchy to me. Seems like some rational I would expect from the OCD.

I won't even answer that last bit, because I don't even take offence in the fact that I obviously do have OCD. I take more offence in it bullying me. I guess I did answer it. That however is more a question of personal opinions I guess. We are more than our OCD, well yes we are!

You can have your opinion but it doesn't mean you're right and I think it can be pretty offensive to repeatedly shout someone down like this. 

Guest OCDhavenobrain
4 minutes ago, gingerbreadgirl said:

You can have your opinion but it doesn't mean you're right and I think it can be pretty offensive to repeatedly shout someone down like this. 

Wow. Come on

I am sorry if you took offence however. I think I made my point. Hope you can get that last push threadmaker! 

I am no fan of being a victim, especially not being victimized by a part of myself. 

Edited by OCDhavenobrain
27 minutes ago, OCDhavenobrain said:

I won't even answer that last bit, because I don't even take offence in the fact that I obviously do have OCD. We are more than our OCD, well yes we are! I take more offence in it bullying me. I guess I did answer it. That however is more a question of personal opinions I guess. 

I’m not really sure what you mean, I was just trying to explain that this is not fear based in anyway. Just simple learning. I of course meant no offence. 

22 minutes ago, OCDhavenobrain said:

Hope you can get that last push threadmaker! 

Thank you! It’s a biggie and a long way to go, but I’m up for it! 

Edited by Emsie
Guest OCDhavenobrain

I am not feeling to good myself but what I wrote is my opinions. However I am not sure if it come across as offensive in some way or if I am just stretching it too much when it comes to personal opinions about how one sees OCD and how it relates to oneself and ones identity. I know that this topic is a debate in itself.

I hope you are able to make it that last bit. I am cheering for you.  Take care everybody

Edited by OCDhavenobrain
38 minutes ago, OCDhavenobrain said:

Wow. Come on

I am sorry if you took offence however. I think I made my point. Hope you can get that last push threadmaker! 

I am no fan of being a victim, especially not being victimized by a part of myself. 

Hi ocdhavenobrain

I apologise I overreacted - you are more than entitled to your own opinion! And I know you're just trying to help like we all are. 

Gbg x 

12 minutes ago, OCDhavenobrain said:

I am not feeling to good myself but what I wrote is my opinions. However I am not sure if it come across as offensive in some way or if I am just stretching it too much when it comes to personal opinions about how one sees OCD and how it relates to oneself and ones identity. I know that this topic is a debate in itself.

I hope you are able to make it that last bit. I am cheering for you.  Take care everybody

I’m sorry to hear that you’re not feeling too good. It wasn’t offensive and I know too that you were just trying to help. I feel very blessed that we have such a great place here, with so many kind, supportive and helpful people. 

Thank you so much for cheering me on and for your input. 

Take care and I hope you feel better soon. 

20 minutes ago, taurean said:

I often say we need various tools in our recovery kitbag, and opinions and experiences are invaluable to help us choose them. 

Great thread, good ideas. 

Absolutely Roy. It’s all been SO helpful. Thank you so much again everyone! X

Edited by Emsie
3 hours ago, OCDhavenobrain said:

Overcomming OCD is incredible simple. 

It is our feelings which makes us suffer, it is then when we are going back to our bully.

Now however, do I really really need to compensate for how this may come across. And say that I wish that we all can find the strength to do this work. You said you were out of therapy. I myself find that I have a compulsion about being in therapy, I feel kinda lonely when I am not under "supervision". It probably started long ago. Maybe you could be aware of this, do you feel secure when you are having a therapist, could it be that it get's too much of an security?

A sidenote: we have had OCD for a long time, it have become a part of who we are, and everything that we as humans do for a long time makes us feel safe. So there is a dimension about overcomming OCD where we have to reshape our identity, where we step out from the role of "having OCD". 

Take care :yes:

Sorry OCDhavenobrain, I just seen this post. Yes, I hope you can find the strength too. I’m sorry you feel lonely when you’re not in therapy and you feel it’s a compulsion. It didn’t get too much of a security for me as I only had 12 sessions, which was the maximum I could have. I can see how it could though. 

I agree a lot of us have had ocd for a long time so there’s some unraveling of behaviours to be done. 

Take care too and keep fighting. X