10 hours ago, Lost_in_a_Dark_Maze said:

Can I just ask, if you're still living at home, does that count as having no housing costs, even if your parents will be asking for some rent once you've claimed?

Unfortunately I think so. I know that I couldn't claim housing benefit with my ESA as I'm living with my parents and I imagine it's the same with Universal Credit.  

Hi Lost,

She might still be able to. I used to care for my Gran who had Dementia and lived with my parents (so I was living with her), and provided a lot of care for well over the required 35 hours each week and I was in receipt of PIP at that time. Plenty of carers do get PIP or DLA. 

If your Mum can explain to the DWP in writing the nature of her caring duties for you and how those don't contradict her DLA claim (e.g. if she has physical mobility problems she can still provide assistance with CBT exercises; encourage you to eat; provide reassurance when you are having a panic attack; ensure that food is brought into the house etc. OR if she has MH conditions then she might be able to provide help in other ways) then she might be able to claim. Obviously it's personal choice though as the DWP can be so dodgy and might decide to re-assess the DLA/PIP on that basis.

Edited by BelAnna

I think you show great knowledge of the system Belanna. In another post on your OCD theme I mentioned confirmation bias. I think your discussions about DWP and benefits indicates a knowledge not contaminated by OCD preoccupations. 

15 hours ago, Angst said:

I think you show great knowledge of the system Belanna. In another post on your OCD theme I mentioned confirmation bias. I think your discussions about DWP and benefits indicates a knowledge not contaminated by OCD preoccupations. 

Thanks Angst! 

8 hours ago, Lost_in_a_Dark_Maze said:

Thank you BelAnna, that is very helpful.

I'm panicking again now as it says I have to verify my identity online (I don't have the relevant documents) or go to the Job centre!

Oh no, poor you. Are you able to afford to apply for a passport? Do you have a National Insurance number? (I think you usually receive a card with this number on when you turn 16). If you do go to the JobCentre make sure someone drives you there and walks in with you- if they need to speak for you then that might actually help your UC and PIP claims.

It is important to keep a photocopied record of all correspondence that you send to DWP as well as all correspondence that you receive. You should keep a log of all telephone conversations as well. Things go missing.

Thank you both for your help, I appreciate it.

I can't really afford to apply for a passport at the moment. I do have a National Insurance number. I really don't think I could go to the JobCentre. I haven't left the house at all since 2012, even for medical appointments. I have a long list of problems which need attention, including potentially serious lumps.

I have asked what to do in my online 'Journal'. I had an email saying if I haven't verified my identity by the 31st, my claim will expire and I have to start again.

2 hours ago, Lost_in_a_Dark_Maze said:

Thank you both for your help, I appreciate it.

I can't really afford to apply for a passport at the moment. I do have a National Insurance number. I really don't think I could go to the JobCentre. I haven't left the house at all since 2012, even for medical appointments. I have a long list of problems which need attention, including potentially serious lumps.

I have asked what to do in my online 'Journal'. I had an email saying if I haven't verified my identity by the 31st, my claim will expire and I have to start again.

Hi Lost, 

That really sucks. If you could borrow the money from your parents or a friend to pay for a passport then it's worth trying to do that- the timing of it would probably still mean that you'd need to start a new claim though. I'm not sure whether they could help or not but you could try ringing Citizens Advice (or asking a family member to phone on your behalf). It's hardly fair if you are too ill to leave the house and are therefore unable to access the benefits to which you're entitled. 

I'm sorry you've been housebound since 2012, that must be so awful. I have been very restricted to my house, in that I don't go to shops, hairdressers, the dentist, the GP etc. but I do leave the house at least every other day for a quick dog walk- I can cope because we walk in the countryside otherwise I'd really struggle. What were things like pre-2012 for you? 

Edited by BelAnna

Thank you very much, I'll give those ideas some thought. I'm thinking I may have to wait and restart the claim at a later date. Maybe by then I'll have my PIP sorted, although I may be stuck with that too if they want ID for that as well. It does seem silly that I need to be less ill (not housebound) to claim the benefits!

Pre-2012 I was going out once a week or so. It gradually got less often. I missed a lot of school because of my OCD and had to give up college after a few weeks as I couldn't cope. After that I'd just go out shopping with my mum sometimes.

Are you in an area where ESA has been subsumed under UC? The claiming procedures under UC differ from previous procedures. Why not ring an advice line such as Citizens’ Advice?

From this April this year the DWP has awarded  Citizens’ Advice a sum of money to assist claimants of UC with their claim. You can confirm this on the DWP web site. Along with links to the Citizens’ Advice support unit. We still live in a democracy and your MP will hold sessions to support their constituents. You should be able to contact them via the telephone or email. I have used a MP once to support my mother. The results were good. But results depend upon a variety of factors.

Edited by Angst

It is, but I'm afraid it's just not possible. Even if I could somehow cope with it, I live with my mum, and she is adamant she does not want anyone coming here while the house is like this. I'm sure they wouldn't want to come into such a health hazard anyway!

I got a letter about my PIP claim today. I have to post the documents to verify my identity for that - I'm not sure why I can't do that for Universal Credit too. I'm just waiting for the new copy of my birth certificate to arrive now...

• 2 months later...

That's brilliant!

Do you just speak to your work coach over the phone? I will have to apply for Universal Credit in the near future as I'm hopefully moving house soon to a UC area.