Effects of OCD

Hello everyone

This is a different kind of post, not exactly OCD related. I was at a party last night and there were lots of couples there. There was point in the night when they got up to dance - basically everyone got up and there was only me and a couple of other people left sitting down. I nearly burst into tears because I was reminded of how lonely I actually was and all because of OCD. If I hadn't spent so many years trapped inside of my head as well as battling low self esteem and depression I probably would've have had a boyfriend to share those lovely memories with. It was only a small portion of the night but it really got to me and I thought to myself that'll never be me. I also think because I really like this guy and he shows no interest in me, like he's nice and talks to me but it's not like he's ever asked me out - I'm feeling quite down about it. Anyway, has anyone ever felt quite angry/upset over what could have been but because of your OCD things never turned out that way? I'm feeling quite down about it and was wondering if anyone could relate at all. I understand that this is a pathetic post 

Thanks for reading 

I can understand your venting with regards to how OCD has robbed us of so many opportunities. Anyway, now that we know what we have lost and that the clock can't be turned back, we should then ask ourselves what we can do to make things better, to not repeat the same mistakes and allow OCD to rob us any further.

Hi, I actually was pushing myself as I was speaking to a lot of different people and shaking hands etc. That's a big deal because I feel really uncomfortable with anyone touching me because I believe that I've been inappropriate with them because I deal with sexual themes. So, it was mainly positive. But, it was at that point it really reminded me of something I could never have and made me feel really depressed. 

A lot, however I try not to dwell on it too much (easier said than done) because it is what it is and I'm wary of beating myself up and bringing my mood down. It's good and important to acknowledge you're grieving for what might have been. OCD causes a lot of collateral damage in your life, and a therapist can help you to untangle and process such things.

On 18/11/2018 at 01:54, don't know said:

If I hadn't spent so many years trapped inside of my head as well as battling low self esteem and depression I probably would've have had a boyfriend to share those lovely memories with. It was only a small portion of the night but it really got to me and I thought to myself that'll never be me. I also think because I really like this guy and he shows no interest in me, like he's nice and talks to me but it's not like he's ever asked me out - I'm feeling quite down about it. Anyway, has anyone ever felt quite angry/upset over what could have been but because of your OCD things never turned out that way? I'm feeling quite down about it and was wondering if anyone could relate at all.

I think its fairly common for people with OCD to wonder "what if", but then I think thats true of EVERYONE.  We all consider what choices we might have made had circumstances been different, especially those who have had to deal with some life changing incident or another.  It can be a one time event or an ongoing condition, but in the end the reality is we can't change the past, only learn from it.  Its natural to get wistful about the past and how you wish it might be different now, but it is what it is.  You can however change the future.

Speaking of the future, so you are interested in a guy but think he might not like you back because he hasn't asked you out.  Isn't it possible he might feel the same but is too shy to ask YOU out because he thinks YOU don't like HIM that way?  Maybe you can ask him sometime!  Trust me, plenty of us guys feel just as doubtful/nervous about girls we might be interested in.  Sure it can be scary to ask someone out, you might not get the answer you want.  On the other hand you might get a yes and have a great time.  Or you get a no and can move on.  Either way, if you want to change your future its more likely to happen if you do something rather than wait for something to happen!