My family think i am my intrusive thoughts

I was doing fine for a while on the OCD front but now I'm back in. 

I was watching TV with my family when someone came on TV and one of my family members said I wonder what it's like to be them and the other person said 'be like you' pointing at me and they even stared at me whilst saying it and smiled. 

I felt quite hurt because when I didn't know what this was I confinded in my family because I was terrified I was losing my mind. They reassured me that I was okay and they didn't know what had come over me. I felt hurt because they used something like that and compared me to it. I'm scared my family think of me as my intrusive sexual thoughts and especially when I felt secure in myself for a change it's completely rattled me and I feel like I need to ask them if they really see me in this light. 

I'm sorry for another post, you must be sick of me. But, I don't know whether to ask them what they meant by it or not. What should I do? 

Thanks for reading 

Edited by don't know
49 minutes ago, don't know said:

I'm sorry for another post, you must be sick of me. But, I don't know whether to ask them what they meant by it or not. What should I do? 

Hi DK,

Let it go! People say silly things from time to time.

Furthermore, seeking an answer will most likely feed your OCD, and also get your family member knowing which buttons to press, if they want to wind you up anytime.

With regards to your previous post and depression and so on, could you not ask that fella out? :) 

Edited by felix4

Hi, thanks for the reply.

i think they knew it would bother me, but I couldn't stop thinking about it to the point where I started questioning whether I was what my intrusive thoughts are telling me. It just feels like I can never fully gain control of it. It does hurt coming from my family though because they saw how awful it made me, so to make a joke or insinuate there was any truth to my OCD was not cool. 

In regards to your second point - I've thought about it but I don't think he likes me in that way. I feel crazy about him, which I haven't felt like this in a few years (OCD really puts a damper on those feelings). It would also be too awkward because it's not like he talks to me that often and I think he just tries to be nice because he's that type of person (also he is like that with everyone) It sucks but I know the best thing is to move on from it.

Edited by don't know

My dad often makes jokes about my OCD and teases me about it. I absolutely hated it to begin with but he said that he was doing that to make light of the situation, because once you take something too seriously, you only feel worse about it. Whereas if you can learn to laugh about it, you start to see things in a different light. I do see his point, sometimes I even find my own symptoms to be totally ridiculous that I start laughing at them myself. 

I understand that you're hurt, but it sounds like your family is supportive and didn't intend to hurt you. I've also read some of your posts and it really sounds like you're struggling with your own sense of identity within all of this. I think that is completely normal, when you're hit with a condition like this, you do wonder why it's happening to you, what you have done wrong, and you do end up feeling a sense of worthlessness because of what is happening to you. I would suggest that you try to work on this and try to find ways of seeing yourself in a positive light again. You've got to start to see that your OCD symptoms are not YOU, it's just an anxiety condition that is making you feel worried about losing control so it's making you think thoughts that you find appaling to scare you.