Is intentional exposure necessary?

Thanks to CBT, compulsions are finally starting to go away. :clapping:

For the most part, I'm not allowing myself to do compulsions. I accept the uncertainty, and suffer through the anxiety.  I am feeling great about the path I'm on, even though it's exceedingly difficult.

But I'm not intentionally exposing myself to anything. From what I've read, the important thing is to not do compulsions, and to really get the cognitive aspect. 

Is that a fair statement?

Is it still technically ERP in this case? It involves practicing healthy responses to day-to-day exposure, but without seeking out the exposure. 

Hi ineedahug

Firstly well done for being on such a good path - no mean feat! :) 

I think that although you're not doing intentional exposure, you are constantly being exposed to triggers because you're not doing compulsions. So in that sense they're not necessary exactly. However intentional exposure is good because (a) it ramps up the number of triggers you're faced with and (b) most importantly it shows your ocd you're in charge. If you are reluctant to do intentional exposure it suggests you are afraid of it which gives your ocd ammunition. If you do exposure, it gives your ocd nowhere to go. 

So although you don't technically have to do intentional exposure, it will make your recovery a lot smoother if you do. Can I ask why you are reluctant?

10 minutes ago, gingerbreadgirl said:

Hi ineedahug

Firstly well done for being on such a good path - no mean feat! :) 

I think that although you're not doing intentional exposure, you are constantly being exposed to triggers because you're not doing compulsions. So in that sense they're not necessary exactly. However intentional exposure is good because (a) it ramps up the number of triggers you're faced with and (b) most importantly it shows your ocd you're in charge. If you are reluctant to do intentional exposure it suggests you are afraid of it which gives your ocd ammunition. If you do exposure, it gives your ocd nowhere to go. 

So although you don't technically have to do intentional exposure, it will make your recovery a lot smoother if you do. Can I ask why you are reluctant?

Because I already get triggered every day, and because what I'm doing is actually working. It has taken so long to find the right approach that works for me. I don't want to start acting as if all the good work I am doing is somehow not enough. I already got the ball rolling, and I want to keep moving forward. 

3 minutes ago, ineedahug said:

Because I already get triggered every day, and because what I'm doing is actually working. It has taken so long to find the right approach that works for me. I don't want to start acting as if all the good work I am doing is somehow not enough. I already got the ball rolling, and I want to keep moving forward. 

If it's working for you then keep doing what you're doing :) 

One of the advantages of ERP is you do it in a controlled setting. Normally you get an intrusive tjought and it cstches you off guard and it can be challenging to clamp down on compulsions. With ERP you conjure up the thoughts by exposing yourself to that which you fear, but you are in control.