Using Puzzles As Distraction

I find using Distraction is a great psychological tool when trying to stand up to the urge to carry out a compulsion. And puzzles are a great Distraction. 

Several of my pub friends have concerns at the moment. So we all (5 of us)  had a go this afternoon at solving the Daily Mail crossword - then when we finished that we moved on to The Times small non-cryptic crossword. 

What a happy time this was. We none of us had time to think of anything else - for a couple of hours our whole focus was, together, completing those crosswords - and we did it. 

My wife uses puzzle books to distract her when waiting to see a medic, or to stop her worrying about something, if there is some concern around. 

As well as crosswords, I use online quizzes, and quiz shows, as great Distraction. 

Edited by taurean

I enjoy crosswords as well and use them for distraction from anxiety, as well as just general enjoyment, too!

For those who aren't word inclined I also recommend sudoku and kakuro, both are logic/number puzzles originally from Japan that I find very fun and challenging to solve.  There are numerous apps for mobile devices as well as books if you prefer the tactile feel of paper when solving them.

Speaking of mobile devices, there are numerous games and activities that can help from digital card games (I love cribbage) to challenging logic games, to fun simple action games.  Plus you can find guided meditation apps or simply load up some guided meditation/mindfulness audio to have handy too.

24 minutes ago, dksea said:

Plus you can find guided meditation apps or simply load up some guided meditation/mindfulness audio to have handy too.

Yes I have some guided meditations downloaded into my phone. 

They are great for helping to relax, and to prepare for sleep. 

I have some mindfulness meditation CDs too. 

I agree with this and I love puzzles and games :) - but with the caveat that distraction can sometimes be detrimental if used in the wrong way. Be careful about why you're doing it. Be careful you're not using it to block out feelings of anxiety and doubt - I have discovered that this reinforces the idea that the thought is too scary to face, and can become compulsive. It's important to be able to sit with those feelings. 

Edited by gingerbreadgirl
59 minutes ago, BelAnna said:

Ooh great idea- thank you Roy! It sounds like a fun afternoon at the pub yesterday! 

It was a fun time at the pub, but I got home ten minutes late and had to serve a couple of penances for not being back to heat up the dinner Julie had pre-cooked earlier. 

But I did J's version of "community service"  and all is now lovey dovey again :inlove:

I love puzzles and do them everyday.  I think we've to be careful that we don't turn every action, every minute of the day into a therapy session.  Without it being an avoidance tactic I find that sometimes if your brain is in one those moods where it could easily stray into a mild ruminating mode, a redirection of brain activity is sometimes very useful.  I love the DM Coffee Break puzzles..

6 hours ago, Caramoole said:

Without it being an avoidance tactic I find that sometimes if your brain is in one those moods where it could easily stray into a mild ruminating mode, a redirection of brain activity is sometimes very useful.  

I completely agree with this and find it very useful. I like the App 'Two Dots'. It's really absorbing and sometimes very challenging. I've also been watching clips from Dragons Den on YouTube in this way too, I really love it.