How to not respond to the thoughts

Fantastic post GBG and funnily enough it's something I've started trying to do myself today ! I suppose it's a little like the Clare Weekes floating technique. I've been reading a book by someone who also advocates welcoming the anxiety and it definitely seems logical to me (even if it is a little scary!!)

31 minutes ago, carlleo123 said:

Fantastic post GBG and funnily enough it's something I've started trying to do myself today ! I suppose it's a little like the Clare Weekes floating technique. I've been reading a book by someone who also advocates welcoming the anxiety and it definitely seems logical to me (even if it is a little scary!!)

Hi carlleo

Good to hear from you and hope you're OK?  I love the Claire weekes floating technique! - she was well ahead of her time. I read a book recently called overcoming intrusive thoughts which talks about this some more, it talks about floating above the fray and allowing time to pass without fighting with the thought. A really good book I'd recommend it. 

Gbg x 

21 minutes ago, Steve.m.w said:

I like :) bubut it will take me a few more reads to get the idea of it and how to get the process in place and practice it. 

A right click in the thread will come up with the option to print the thread. 

N.b.a long thread like this will count for more than one page and you may need to ask your printer to print the extra page/s.Start at the beginning of the thread and see how much prints as one "forum" page. 

On 04/12/2018 at 20:54, Steve.m.w said:

I like :) bubut it will take me a few more reads to get the idea of it and how to get the process in place and practice it. 

hang in there steve, it can take a while to get the hang of it (and I am still stumbling and learning every day) but it does get easier in time! 

Whilst we are on the OCD learning curve we should expect to get failures and relapses - they are par for the course. 

And I think it best to note down useful ideas that become a toolchest of strategies we can try, when previous methods wane. 

Gradually, as we evaluate these, they - if they are beneficial - can take their place in, for me, the holy of holies of recovery - the recovery blueprint. 

I keep my recovery blueprint in a document folder on the computer. There to access if needed, but also readily updatable. 

Ive been doing this now i have pocd but when i had a stressful doctors appointment i was getting a lot of thoughts and the starring ocd was stronger.I had a pocd thought because i thought children might be at the doctors so i thought well there could be so i expected the worst a whole load of kids.Then i had a pocd thought i ignored it but then thought i liked it this started the whole ocd thing off for over an hour because it was making me feel like i couldnt go to the doctors.Is this a bad sign as i do usualy get upset and anxous about the thoughts.

Hi gingerbread

Yeah im following what you wrote ignoring them giving them no energy.It was only on this day waiting for an apointment ive been worrying about for so many months in case children are there.i was ok early on in the day then i was expecting them fast thoughts and a few came.for a slight moment i thought i liked it then that set me off fighting it.

Thanks for putting my mind at rest :)

I thought so too maybe thats why no one said anything i havent done cbt i can only get out on my pushbike and its always held me back.I was thinking of doing cbt at the munro clinic at guys but then they recommended a service called pickup at the maudsley hospital.I asked pickup if they can do home visits they said they could but im very scared of it all because walking down the street when theres kids about i stand out because im so scared.Thats why i only feel safe on a bike because im always moving.

I got a lot going on the staring ocd and i think i have the hocd plus im sure im under survelance i feel watched and followed most times while out.Im very paranoid when i get out suspecting everyone.

This was very helpful. I really recognized myself in this, especially that guttural feeling of panic and the need to figure it out right away when that feeling/thought hits. How do you stop it though when the thought that pops in is accompanied by a possible false memory due to ruminating over the thought so much? I'm guessing just the same thing? Let the false memory sit also? Its so hard

On 13/12/2018 at 15:28, paco5959 said:

This was very helpful. I really recognized myself in this, especially that guttural feeling of panic and the need to figure it out right away when that feeling/thought hits. How do you stop it though when the thought that pops in is accompanied by a possible false memory due to ruminating over the thought so much? I'm guessing just the same thing? Let the false memory sit also? Its so hard

Hi paco 

Sorry I missed this. False memories are horrid but they are essentially the same as any other kind of ocd - so yes my advice would be to let it sit, welcome it in. Ocd has nowhere to go if you show it you're not afraid. 

I am having a hard time following my own advice at the moment - it is really difficult - but it does work :)