Life makes no sense

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, bruces said:

is contentment and happiness actually a real thing or am I just living in a fantasy world? 

Norman Vincent Peale told a story about an "obstacle man" who saw obstacles every which way he looked. 

Bruces, are you not also an obstacle man,seeing trouble and strife in any direction?

As I said on Caramoole's mobile phone thread, if we would just culture the practice of reframing our negatives into worthwhile positives, then what a difference we can make to ours and others' lives. 

Edited by taurean
4 minutes ago, bruces said:

i feel as though I'm in limbo I'm not the person I want to be and with every passing day that possibility seems to get further and further away,it scares me! 

There's no magic spell that will make your life magically different.  If you want to change things, then YOU have to change them.  If you sit around just being scared about what might happen then nothing will change.  Its up to you.

Bruces, this is just a replica of many of your other threads.  I've explained before how they are not helping you and because of this, I eventually closed the last thread.

Please use this thread to try and address how you can and will try to make changes that will help.

Have you ever thought of doing some investigation into local charities and perhaps consider doing some volunteering.  It may help you get out among others,  gain some satisfaction from being able to help, give you an interest and focus on other things instead of having so much time to be introspective.

Please don't let this thread continue into being one of one line laments.  Time for making "active" changes.  What are they going to be?

I range from seeing no sense in anything to being perfectly happy just finding my way through the fog.

I think just getting better is as much sense as I need right now and the rest just falls into place.

Maybe it's not worth trying to find sense in life right now, just take it one day at a time and work on the things you want to achieve and the issues you want to deal with. I believe that the rest will sort itself out in the end.

33 minutes ago, Symps07 said:

I range from seeing no sense in anything to being perfectly happy just finding my way through the fog.

I think just getting better is as much sense as I need right now and the rest just falls into place.

Maybe it's not worth trying to find sense in life right now, just take it one day at a time and work on the things you want to achieve and the issues you want to deal with. I believe that the rest will sort itself out in the end.

I'm glad you can find good times 

Well I woke up this morning from a very intense dream and my mind started on compulsive repetitive thinking. 

I didn't panic, just observed it, had a lovely breakfast with my wife and got on the bus to the station to catch my train for a 2-day social and scientific visit to London. 

As I have been taught here, I allowed my mind to switch into the benign "just being"  mindfulness mode, and it stopped the obsessional repetitive thinking. 

Bruces, to get better we only have to learn then implement that learning. 

It takes time and effort to accept then ignore obsessional thoughts and resultant compulsions ; but when we do life begins to acquire meaningful worthwhile purpose and enjoyment. 

And we can all improve if we believe we can, and make the necessary effort. 

Edited by taurean

Hi Bruces, I think it’s okay for life not to make sense. I know that it’s important to focus on getting better, but sometimes people just aren’t at that place yet. Maybe the best you can do for now is what Symps has said and just take it one day at a time. Don’t think about what it means or who you want to be. Just do your best to make it through each day and to engage with something positive each day, however small it may be. When you are ready, there is plenty of support that you can seek and you absolutely should, but it doesn’t all come together at once. Good luck to you.

1 hour ago, bruces said:

I'd love to fix things there's just so much I can't seem to make sense of 

You don't have to make sense of it all, thats just the OCD pushing you for perfect certainty that can't be obtained.  You need to accept that you won't ever understand everything, its just not a realistic goal.  

You aren't going to fix everything overnight, you start small and work your way forward one step at a time.  So ask yourself, what can you do today to help make things better?  It doesn't have to be big,  maybe it can be working on resisting compulsions.  Maybe it can be to order one of the OCD self help books.  Maybe it can be scheduling an appointment with a therapist.  All change is made up of small, discrete steps.  Set yourself a goal, and start taking some steps towards that goal.

In an effort to understand how OCD comes into play on your threads, Bruce's, I looked into this type of OCD and found listed "existential OCD" and "philosophical OCD" as OCD sub types/themes. I know from a previous locked thread of yours you said it was excessive ruminating and intrusive thoughts, and what some call pure-O, that are the problem.

The thing is, having briefly looked into this, and how these themes in particular effect sufferers, it has now got me questioning whether even the very speaking/asking others out loud and typing comments/questions, such as, "life makes no sense" & "does anybody else feel this a way?" are, regardless of answers, compulsions in themselves and extensions of initial internal compulsions?