Life makes no sense

I'm not sure OCD does come into play with Bruce's threads. As long as I have read his threads, which is quite a few years, his main problem seems to be one of depression, not OCD. Everything is bad. Bruce feels worthless. Everything is a mistake. Life sucks.

On and on and round and round. Been that way for years.

However, his incessant, doom and gloom threads can be looked at as a compulsion. And there is always a number of posters willing to engage with his negativity. Is it really helping, given Bruce and those people have been doing the same thing for years?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see where you are coming from PolarBear. (But bruces does have checking OCD which affects his work as a mechanic, if my memory serves me right - and probably contributes to the feeling of letting his folks down. 

So there are a few things going on - and bruces hasn't had the desire to get doing something about them, as apathy has struck - which now gives more fuel to the "it's too late, I will never be able to change" sideshow. 

Perhaps we might paraphrase the topic title to show bruces that this type of posting is an unhelpful compulsion. 

And to show him that carrying out a compulsion will only give belief to the obsessional thought.. 

Ocd Is definitely there it's what started it all off many moons ago but depression now has certainly a huge part to play among a few others issues thrown into the mix,which have affected my ability to live massively.

although clearly my response to my problems are a big a problem as the problems themselves,my repetitive postings are either a compulsion or just a way of ranting,even though I know it's probably the wrong thing to do,which I apologise for x 

It's good that you see it is the wrong thing to do, as it pushes you further down the OCD aggh, guilt, regret, then secondary depression then existentialism anxiety cycle. 

But ranting won't help, if there is that in the mix. 

Doing will. "Spoking" and part of that anxiety cycle will stop the rot, allow you time to recover. 

You can then earn the respect of everyone around you for battling your troubles and the recovery is started. 

OCD may have been a problem before but in my opinion depression has become the primary concern. 

I don't have as good a grasp on depression as i do OCD, but it seems to me that these repetitive, negative threads can't be doing you any good, Bruce. They keep you focused on the negative.

I would think the antidote for negative thinking and behavior is purposefully doing the opposite, not pondering on why you think life sucks.

23 minutes ago, PolarBear said:

but it seems to me that these repetitive, negative threads can't be doing you any good, Bruce. They keep you focused on the negative.

I would think the antidote for negative thinking and behavior is purposefully doing the opposite, not pondering on why you think life sucks.

I agree :yes:  We have dozens of threads of exactly this nature......and I know Bruces, that you have had extensive one to one support from Snowbear.  There have been endless suggestions made, and yet, I haven't seen you actively take any of them on board or try to change your response and reactions.  Even where depression is concerned a cognitive, behavioural  response has been shown to be effective.

The problem it leaves us with here is that the threads are simply allowing you to engage with negative, compulsive actions that are detrimental to you making improvements.  Sure, it takes time to make changes.  We will fail and falter hundreds of times along the way.  We'll slip back into unhelpful behaviours but regardless of that, we have to resolve to make changes and start to implement them, even if it's in a small way.  This is where I struggle Bruces because I've not seen that really.

I think you have to keep pushing with your GP.  You need to see him/her regularly so that they are aware that nothing changes.  You need to ask for therapy and ask why you are not being offered support for your mental health problems, whatever category they might fall under.

I know it's just what goes round in my head and I shouldn't post it on here I'm sorry I'll try to refrain in future.

on a seperate note caramoole,have you heard from snowbear recently,I don't want any details I just wondered is she ok? 

Here’s some hobbies you could take up:

Reading

Watching TV

Family Time

Going to Movies

Fishing

Computer

Gardening

Renting Movies

Walking

Exercise

Listening to Music

Entertaining

Hunting

Team Sports

Shopping

Traveling

Sleeping

Socializing

Sewing

Golf

Church Activities

Relaxing

Playing Music

Housework

Crafts

Watching Sports

Bicycling

Playing Cards

Hiking

Cooking

Eating Out

Dating Online

Swimming

Camping

Skiing

Working on Cars

Writing

Boating

Motorcycling

Animal Care

Bowling

Painting

Running

Dancing

Horseback Riding

Tennis

Theater

Billiards

Beach

Volunteer Work

6 minutes ago, daja said:

Here’s some hobbies you could take up:

Reading

Watching TV

Family Time

Going to Movies

Fishing

Computer

Gardening

Renting Movies

Walking

Exercise

Listening to Music

Entertaining

Hunting

Team Sports

Shopping

Traveling

Sleeping

Socializing

Sewing

Golf

Church Activities

Relaxing

Playing Music

Housework

Crafts

Watching Sports

Bicycling

Playing Cards

Hiking

Cooking

Eating Out

Dating Online

Swimming

Camping

Skiing

Working on Cars

Writing

Boating

Motorcycling

Animal Care

Bowling

Painting

Running

Dancing

Horseback Riding

Tennis

Theater

Billiards

Beach

Volunteer Work

:goodpost:

Hi Bruces You always make similar existential statements in your threads and people always make the same range of comments in response to your statements.  For example Caramoole makes the same comment as I did in one of your threads. You never or very very rarely answer questions. Therapy depends on dialogue as does support. Question: have you ever had therapy? 

It did cross my mind that volunteer work would be a good thing. Charities depend on the altruism of their volunteers but it also takes them out of themselves to help solve practical purposes. It helped me. I did a lot of volunteering with the homeless and with a mental health charity. Mental illness can make us egocentric: thinking about our problems and our perceptions of our problems. Joining a charity will mean joining a collective project.  Could joining such a project be an existential solution? So what about some volunteer work?

Edited by Angst

Hi thank you for all your kind replies,I need to take some time and try and figure out what I'm going to with my life. 

It's not going to happen Bruces.  You're not going to sit, think it out and *BINGO* have a light bulb moment.  As Angst says, this is about doing.

....and again, you've completely ignored direct questions.  So how's about it?

6 hours ago, bruces said:

Hi thank you for all your kind replies,I need to take some time and try and figure out what I'm going to with my life. 

No problem... Glad I have been of assistance. :D

Joking aside, if I were you, I would contact your GP and ask for a reassessment of your symptoms, and if need be, push for CBT for OCD and/or depression.

4 hours ago, bruces said:

I was having private cbt a few weeks ago but wasn't working for me.

Something to keep in mind, therapy is only going to be effective if you put in the work.  Its not the sort of thing where you'll have (as mentioned above) that "light bulb" moment and everything will click in to place, problem solved.  Therapy is like an exercise regime.  Your trainer can tell you what exercises to do over and over, but if you don't actually do them, you won't get any better shape out of it.  So ask yourself, where you putting in the work with the therapy, or were you merely going and hoping to have things "solved" for you just by talking them out?

Edited by dksea

My last therapy was three sessions and very disappointing. I have had good therapy in the past. If you have depression and OCD then a good way to measure the degree of depression is Beck’s Depression Inventory. It was used on a weekly basis for depression during the good therapy sessions.