Medication change

Ive been on Mirtazapine since march, im on 45mg and have been around 5 months. 

Ive never really tried SSRI's (Mirtazapine is a non adrenic) It stated on my notes with GP that id tried them an they didnt work no idea why theyve put that. Anyway was given mirtazapine while it is used for anxiety its typically for clinical depression. The weight gain has been a very sore point for me which is the most common side effect. Ive gone from 10st 2 in march to 14st 6 I had agreed to wait until CBT / ERP had finished before changing it and i was ok with that as weight gain isnt permanent but noticed im now getting stretch marks in various noticable place and its really affecting me and my self esteem! 

im considering asking gp to change my tablets, start a new one while tapering off the mirtazapine so i dont have the awful wait for then to kick in. 

What are to more reliable / suited??

Ive never really been on any except mirtazapine 

If SSRI's are a possibility (assuming the note you mention is not accurate, which I think is what you said) there is really no way to tell which will be the best suited for you.  Some people try one and it works and they stick with that long term, others have to try a few before they find one thats effective.  Your doctor will probably start with the one they are most familiar with or is commonly prescribed in your area/country and go from there.