Charlie ocd

Anyone got cumpulsive starring at private areas of others

I think i noticed it faintly a while ago but since getting very unwell its stronger now i also have pocd and thought it was hocd but now it seems its compulsive starring.

I was panicking i meant i do have pocd i thought i could have hocd too but after googling it sounds like the starring ocd or compulsive starring.It happens when im talking to someone its like the corner of my eye is picking up on private areas i dont want to look there but feel drawn too.

It's the old don't think of pink elephants scenario. If I tell you not to, you will.

The problem is not that you look at someone's crotch. It's that you attach meaning to it. Of course, that meaning is negative. You wish you didn't do it. It makes you feel bad. You make a big desl out of it. That guarantees you will look again. And round and round you go.

The trick is to think, eh whatever, when it happens. Make it not a big deal and you'll soon stop doing it. Treat it as a non-issue.

Edited by PolarBear

11 hours ago, PolarBear said:

It's the old don't think of pink elephants scenario. If I tell you not to, you will.

The problem is not that you look at someone's crotch. It's that you attach meaning to it. Of course, that meaning is negative. You wish you didn't do it. It makes you feel bad. You make a big desl out of it. That guarantees you will look again. And round and round you go.

The trick is to think, eh whatever, when it happens. Make it not a big deal and you'll soon stop doing it. Treat it as a non-issue.

Yes i do feel ashamed straight away i do make a big deal of it because it upsets me so much i was thinking could i be gay but its happening with men and women.Im trying to force my eyes away i end up starring in the other persons eyes so that i dont pick up on that area of the body.

Thanks i have to try that 

Edited by Charlie ocd

Yeah I get this and have done since I was a kid, it can be ocd related but also it can be like a tic, the urge to do something you don't want to do because you know you shouldn't. The more inappropriate it would be - say in in an interview! - the more I get the urge to look!! It's annoying! It's that last part which makes it stick - like pb says is the not wanting to do it which keeps it on your radar. It's nothing sexual and I think is pretty common for everyone, but as with all ocd it sticks for us because we give it attention. 

Edited by gingerbreadgirl

I had it a while ago talking to my cpn then i seemed to have got it really bad when i was in the hospital before i went the mental hospital i was walking down the corridor with people coming towards me i just wasnt right.I think i was looking for children so i could avoid them then i was starring at peoples privates i was so humiliated then i noticed it in the mental hospital.At the moment its really hard to deal with knowing this because ive had a really hard time with the pocd.Even snooker i used to like watching that but now when they lean over the table im noticing it.

Ive been saying all the time whatever not letting it upset me when it happens will it really stop by doing this?.I was watching snooker when i was really stressed one day and it did seem to be worse upsetting me more.