Intrusive thoughts

In need of some advice currently,

im 16 and I suffer from anxiety and depression however I think I’m suffering from ocd Aswell. My anxiety has reached an all time high and I keep having strange thoughts that won’t leave my head. Scary theoughts that I wouldn’t ever do but I think them. And when I try to forget them they just play round my head on repeat. 

Latley ive been thinking a lot about life and the purpose of it all, I don’t need to know these things yet my brain makes me feel like I do. I think things like “I’m going to die one day” and of course everyone has these thoughts but for me it’s like a relisation every time I think it I get this feeling of panic and worry. 

Sometimes I feel like I’m going insane. 

Does anybody else suffer this? Scared that I’m alone 

Hello and welcome to the forum.

You are most certainly not alone. There are about a hundred million OCD sufferers around the world. We've all dealt with weird thoughts that seemingly won't leave us alone. I say seemingly because, as it turns out, our way of thinking and our behavior because of the thoughts causes them to come back, often stronger, in the future. We think we are doing the right thing by paying attention to them and trying to solve the questions posed, but it's entirely the wrong thing to do and only ensures we are tormented.

What you describe does sound like OCD, at least initially. When you get a thought like, "I'm going to die one day," what do you do? Do you sit there and ponder that question? Do you try and solve it? Do you discuss it with other people?

Hi Shann

Sorry your having a hard time. 

This type of thought is exactly what my rumination OCD is about. 

I get very panicked if I am on my own. This is a trigger for me. Trigger leads to intrusions then to compulsion. I have, in the past, spent an entire day ruminating about being dead. This leads to negative thoughts and feelings. Depression/anxiety. So hard and utterly debilitating. 

I have deliberately spent time on my own to bring these thoughts on more. Over time I’ve got use to being on my own. Tell the anxiety to come on in and let it be there.  Tell yourself this is anxiety/recognise it and sit it out without trying to push it away. Anxiety gets bored and then goes on its own.

This however is very anxiety provoking in itself and I would suggest some help to get you on the right track. CBT/doctor etc. The sooner the better that way if it is OCD then it can be caught early to stop it getting worse and taking more of your time. 

Tricky when feelings of panic are intense. 

With help this does get better. Trust me. It does get better.

To take on anxity/depression/OCD I personally found good diet and plenty of drinks are good. Exercise. Sleep/rest. Time to yourself (maybe a trigger) CBT and mindfulness help loads. I found taking care of yourself is very helpful in order to tackle this issue. 

Hope  this helps. This quite literally sounds like me when I first realised my worries were overwhelming and anxiety so high I thought I might go insane. Starting to doubt everything. I felt I couldn’t even trust myself. 

I hope this helps my friend. I have been there and eventually and only just on my way up. I do not want you to suffer like I have for 7 years. Please seek help. And nip this in the bud ASAP. 

Hi Shann, welcome to the forums.  Sorry to hear you are having a rough time.

On 11/12/2018 at 08:17, Shannn said:

Latley ive been thinking a lot about life and the purpose of it all, I don’t need to know these things yet my brain makes me feel like I do. I think things like “I’m going to die one day” and of course everyone has these thoughts but for me it’s like a relisation every time I think it I get this feeling of panic and worry. 

Sometimes I feel like I’m going insane. 

Does anybody else suffer this? Scared that I’m alone 

You are definitely not alone!  Many OCD sufferers (including myself) have experienced thoughts and situations like these.  I hope knowing that will help you feel better and aid in your recovery.