Constant slip-ups

Things have been a little bit better recently with OCD, I’m having longer periods of time where I feel better. But I do also find myself slipping into ruminations, and I am absolute garbage at the whole ‘leave it unresolved’ part of the deal. I can definitely identify when I have these slip-ups and I know the hardest part is to just breath and allow it to happen without forcing it away. It’s been difficult but manageable!

Anyway, the main issue is an odd and personal one. I recently met somebody and things have been going well, I think this may well end up in a relationship between myself and her. Along with the excitement and anxiety of that situation has come a wave of OCD essentially trying to ruin it. Does anybody have any advice about OCD in situations with a partner? I can just see it going so badly and I really don’t want it to, and I know the more I strive for it to be ‘good’, the more OCD will thrive off that unattainable goal. After I’ve been doing so well too! But I can’t let it get in the way of this and control my life.

Hi Ollie

Ocd loves to ruin a good thing. The best advice I can give you is to bring it along for the ride but don't let it drive - by which I mean don't force it away but don't let it make any decisions either. New relationships are inherently uncertain which can make pretty much everyone anxious. My advice is to just go with it, let it unfold at its own pace and just let ocd hum along in the background. Let it in but don't engage with it. As much as it doesn't feel like it sometimes, ocd is not in the driving seat, you are! X 

Edited by gingerbreadgirl