Laser dot when out.

Guest OCDhavenobrain

Guest OCDhavenobrain

Hello everybody. 

I was out on my bike when I suddenly saw a red dot in front mof me. So I put up my hand and closed my eyes. Called the police. 

I think it was  weaker one but it was light outside. It had to comefrom one of the apartments above at tmy right side. 

I just wanted to vent but also wantto kmow how I should react. It could be a weapon btw. A thought hit me. It didnt blind me but to me personally I feel like that the intent is enough. 

Thanks for any advices

My friend you are full of what ifs.

As I drive around I often get flashes of light from the side or the back of the car. Do I worry? No. There are many reasons for these and I simply dismiss it and carry on.

In your scenario you are going straight for the catastrophe meaning. Note this, and watch out for it when the next scenario occurs.  

That’s the problem with OCD, we immediately zoom into what we perceive as a threat and don’t see the bigger picture, panic and anxiety strike straight away and you acted as though you was under attack, but sometimes things are not always as they appear. Looking at it in a more rational way this could be because of a number of reasons, a laser torch, a laser toy etc. Let it go and continue with your day :)

Guest OCDhavenobrain

I did get an anxietyattack. 

Thing is that I am pretty sure it was some kind of laser. It was infront of my front wheel. If I had to guess I would say that it was one of those you use at presentations and such. There was a really nasty beating in the those specific apartmentbuildings not a long time ago. Where they pulled out teeths and other sick stuff. 

I will do my absolute best not to think about it too much. But it do makes me depressed. I am already sad about the situation in this country overall. There are both robberygangs and bombings in the towns around where I live but yea. 

Thanks everybody

My friend in a neighbouring road got burgled recently. 

Does that mean we will get burgled? 

Not necessarily. It simply means our area, lovely though it is, is just as susceptible to crime as anywhere else. 

We take sensible precautions and leave it at that. 

Guest OCDhavenobrain

So instantly when it happens something real do I think "oooh no noooo". Then it turns on. What if my eyesight was damaged, how strong was the laser? What if it was a weapon, weapons can have a laser attached to them. Even the fact that I could be/am a victim makes me anxioucs. I KNOW that there is nothing wrong with being a victim. But my mind is making the connection to being traumatized. I mean when it comes to being a victim of crimes.

I told my mom she always ask me when I do this and why I do that. WHY were you there, she asked me. Speaking about blaming the victim.. I don't think that my mother ever have been empathic. I shouldn't tell people about it neither. Thought about making a post about it on a forum, contacacting an old contact. 

I will follow your advice about not thinking about it. 

I also don't think that a victim is destroyed, I know that it have made people offended before, but it is not actually me who thinks it. Atleast I am not believing in it! 

It's just another obsessional theme. 

To get better we need to understand our themes and uncover the OCD core belief that underpins it. Then gradually working CBT methodology take that belief apart and show it for the wasteful worthless nonsense it really is. 

I have been right through this process and emerged at the other end happy and free of the mental chains that previously bound me. 

I don't just believe that CBT works - I know that it does. 

Edited by taurean
Guest OCDhavenobrain

I do agree with you. It is probably because I can't handle uncertainty very good. Let's say that you get robbed, it's a real thing and it makes people angry and afraid many other feelings comes along. I personally have a hard time seeing how I ever will accept the fact that some people are doing those kind of things but however. If it do happens it does* and it is bad but in my head it is like it is more severe than that. That it needs to be more severe, that you need to ruminate and analyze it. I dont really know where I want to put the core of all of this. Where the core lies but I do believe that it is me being scared, I am not feeling at all that I can handle such things and that makes me uncertain in a sense and that too is a dimension of it.  

And I guess that this ultimately could be bad too, maybe I am justifing it I don't think so. But I do read the news and it makes me pretty depressed about the situation in the towns around me. But that is ultimately something you have to accept. 

Well well well. And I want to point out that I don't believe that a victim is destroyed. My mind is telling me such things but I do not believe it. BTW I was thinking about a thing yesterday, I have forgotten it now but it was about the distinction in thinking a thing and believing in it. In that equation you also have "true values". 

Edited by OCDhavenobrain

If one was an alien from another world and dropped in here and read a newspaper you could :

Either think - this is a terrible world, full of ruthless dictators and warmongers. 

or 

Ok so there are some bad people here, same as everywhere. But aren't the locals friendly, and you have some real nice music. And isn't the real ale fantastic?

As GBG says, there is a whole lot of grey out there, between the bad-doers and the saints. And we can live a great life in the grey zone. 

At a reunion lunch with old friends, I showed some pictures of the inside of our bungalow and one immediately responded "it's ever so untidy". 

There was no point in my trying to explain that our work inside is work in progress. This friend was never happy unless everything was meticulously clean and tidy. 

But how many of us have the luxury of the time to, if we even wanted to, be always meticulously clean and tidy? 

We compromise - we live somewhere within the grey zone. 

When I took to reading up on CBT in general, not just for OCD,  it was eye-opening. We all have some elements of these "cognitive distortions", one of which is black-and-white thinking - and there are 14 others. 

And when an OCD sufferer - enough in itself - is affected by one or more of these cognitive distortions too, they also need to be exposed and tackled. 

I found I had four of the fifteen, and they were holding back my recovery. 

So I have self-treated those with CBT and overcome them. And doing that has aided my OCD recovery too. 

• 3 months later...
Guest OCDhavenobrain

Feel like last two days have been somewhat of a fall backwards. Inly reason I didnt make thread 2 hours ago when it happened was because my internet on my mobile was down. 

Was out cycling, when I suddenly got blinded by somewhat. Around 300 meters from the place did there stand those laserpointers which they use when you build. Big constructionsite. 

Firstly do I feel feel anxious but also really hate that I cant judge if I got blinded or not. Something surely did flash. Have done no mapping on the site to judge distance and then calculate safe distance. 

Clearly a setback, afraid that it will grow.

Guest OCDhavenobrain

Yes I will try my best. I got an attack but wasnt massive. Started walking instead of cycling because I find that more calming. Also I dont think its safe to have anxiety and be in traffic.

I really do dislike the fact that I feel a need to confess. I have a new friend now and I have feelt like I am sliping with her. Starting to talk about health and stuff. I really need to stop that.