How to get out of it?

Do you ever wonder what's the point in all of this? What's the point in going on when they'll always be something to trip you up constantly. I've been having a rough couple of days and nothing's helping. I have no motivation, which is the worst when you have very important deadlines for tomorrow. But, I don't care to do anything the prospect of failing doesn't cause any worry. I just don't care about anything anymore. I break down in tears at the prospect of the future. I keep thinking about what a failure I am. There's nothing good (enough though logically I know that's not true). What do I do to get myself out of this? Again, sorry for the rant.

Hi DN, sorry you are going through a rough time right now.  What you are describing sounds very much like depression.  While its part of normal human life to sometimes experience some depression it would probably be a good idea to talk to a doctor or therapist about this if its interfering with your day to day life so much.  Hopefully its temporary and you are just worn out and need a bit of a break, but if its something chronic like clinical depression there are treatment methods available that can help.

I think for those of us suffering from OCD, episodes like this aren't uncommon either.  This disease can be overwhelming at times and make us more susceptible to depressive episodes.  Some general tips that can help:

• Get enough sleep.  Being sleep deprived can have a very negative impact on mental health
  • Eat well.  Diet can also impact our mood more than we realize.  Avoiding things like alcohol is usually a good idea when depressed, and while the occasional junk food comfort meal can be a nice treat, make sure your not living off junk food on the regular.
  • Bathe regularly and get dressed.  Seems simple but even just getting prepared for the day can make you feel more active and engaged. Its tempting to be lazy but its problematic too.
  • Don't just sit around.  It can be hard to be active and engaged when dealing with depression but just lying around and doing nothing only makes it worse.  While its important to get some down time to just relax, make sure to mix it with some type of activities.  It doesn't need to be extreme either.  A nice afternoon walk can do wonders for your mood for example.  Getting engaged in a hobby you enjoy, be it knitting or baking or puzzles or what not can help give you something to look forward to and enjoy.
  • Fake it til you make it.  Sometimes just going through the motions helps you actually start to feel like you are acting.  Don't feel like going to work? Go anyway. Don't feel like being social and going to that party? Go anyway.  This ties in to the last point, don't just sit around.  Very often when I am feeling down and am tempted to just stay home and avoid things, forcing myself to get up and go somewhere and I end up enjoying myself and am glad i went.  

Again, hopefully this is just a temporary rut, a feeling we all get from time to time and you'll be able to get out of it soon with just those tips, but its ok if you need help from medical professionals too.

As for the point of it all?  Well thats a question that has plagued philosophers since man first started to think!  I don't know if anyone will ever find the one True answer (if there even is one), but for my part I look at it like this (very rough version):

So far as we know we only get this one life.  Maybe there is something more after, but we aren't sure.  This one life can have amazing ups, terrible downs and everything in between. We don't know what the future holds except possibilities.  The only way to find out is to keep going.  Maybe things are terrible now, but maybe they will be great down the road.  We won't know unless we try, and it would be a shame to stop now when you are in a temporary bad place and miss out on something amazing coming down the line. There are so many good things possible in life, from the huge (You win a huge sum of money and never have to work again!) to the small (you saw a beautiful flower today), it would be a shame to miss out based on what could just be a temporary problem. Until you are dead (and maybe even then) there is always hope!