Facebook OCD group.

I recently joined a Facebook group, it's my real Facebook account so is attached to a lot of people. I'm extremely embarrassed about my OCD and haven't told 99% of the people I know about it.

Has anyone on here had any issues with using a mental health group on Facebook? Friends receiving OCD/mental health related stories, unwanted messages etc?

Closed group posts won't show up on your friends feeds unless they are also a member of the same closed group.  I'm sure lots of people share many things on closed groups without problems.  Its up to each individual to decide how comfortable they are when and what they share about OCD.  Anything we share on social media or the internet does have some possibility of being shared later without our permission, its true, its just a decision on your part if that small risk is worth the benefit you get from being a member of the group, just like its a risk to post on this forum, however small that risk is.  For many years I did not tell anyone about my OCD, even in real life.  Now I am comfortable sharing that information.  It took time for me to make that choice and whether you ever do is up to you.  So my advice, think about when and where you share and whether you think its helping you.  If it is, great, try not to worry.  If you are too worried about sharing right now, thats ok too, you don't have to, but sharing could help too.

Hi

I have not used Facebook for this type of reason but see it being no problem. If it works for you and offers you support with people you trust then can only be a good thing. Go for it. 

Only a few people know about my OCD. I would be happy to discuss with anyone once I had trust in them and felt it may help their mental health. 

The hurtful nature of my thoughts makes it difficult for people to understands and that makes me think people would judge me for it. 

I’m  beginning to be a bit more open about it but depends on who it is. If my kids grow up to be OCD then I would tell them everything they need to recover. But work colleagues/ friends maybe not. Only my Boss knows and my best friends/husband/mum. No one else. 

Xxx

Edited by Dawnie

I’d joined a Facebook anxiety/panic group to talk about my ocd.  It was a closed group and no one else could see what I was posting BUT the group I found couldn’t understand my OCD issues and thought I was creating lies and making things up! Didn’t help that my ocd is embarrassing enough without being judged like that.  I also ended up with a nasty stalker who assumed I’m a gullible person because of my fears of certain things, I guess trying to take advantage of someone who he thought is vulnerable.  I alerted him to the group admin and explained why I didn’t feel the group was for me.  I much prefer this forum and the outstanding support and people.  However I do have other groups I follow which are related to the health issues of my family and these have been invaluable.