Tips To Ease Stress, So Also OCD, At XMAS

It's a real challenge to fit everything in at Christmas, and when we struggle, and stress creeps in, that can open up a route for OCD to get a hold.

So it follows that if we can keep a lid on the stress, we can also aid our resilience against an OCD relapse at Christmas. 

Here I am approaching my 68th Christmas (I think, never was good at maths). So what have I learned that helps reduce stress at this time?

Make a basic plan and timeline and spread tasks around others. Don't let them be couch potatoes while you get frazzled; everyone must lend a hand. 

If it's going to be too much, cut it out. Last year we sent no cards out - we focused our attention on what was needed to get our house sale and purchase through. 

Don't become a slave to peer pressure. If you are struggling to conform, stop and don't. 

Don't be afraid to say no. Once you have done it once, it gets a whole lot easier. 

If need be, for any short, critical, time get up earlier, stay up later to get things over the line. 

Ban others from areas being worked on - with the exception of your designated helpers. 

Make sure you allow for some essential me-time and recovery time. 

Don't try and resolve stress with drinking alcohol - it only makes things worse. Learn some simple relaxation techniques (YouTube has some great videos) and take essential breaks. 

And make sure someone puts out Santa's mince pie and soft drink on Christmas Eve :xmas_smile:

Edited by taurean

:thankyousign:

We are having a minimalist Christmas. All the glamour will be in and around our village :)

We are minimal decorations. A wreath on the door, a small nativity set and a miniature pre-dressed tree. 

Our proper Christmas lunch will be 3 days early, and in the local pub under a reservation. 

Iceland have come up with a nice stuffed chicken breast and some frozen sweets for us on Christmas day. 

No Christmas lights this year at home ; but plenty around us :)

Edited by taurean