Hi I'm really struggling with my ocd. I don't know why but it'seems all I can think about. Am I ever gonna get better. Is the hard work worth it can anyone help me etc are thoughts going round my mind. I also hear voices which r related to my ocd fears which is a difficult one. I also feel there's something I need to do but I don't know what it is. Any advice. Sorry if this post doesn't make sense

Hi Helen. 

So sorry to hear you are struggling so much.

Yes the hard work is worth it, but don't worry about the size of the task, one step at a time.

Just chip away at it a little bit at a time, don't expect too much of yourself or to get it all sorted out straight away.

You will get there with this ..

7 hours ago, Charlie ocd said:

I hear voices from outside talking about me to do with my ocd is that what you hear.

3 hours ago, helen10937 said:

Yes Charlie 

Hi Helen & Charlie,

With regards to voices, are you sure that you are both really experiencing the same symptom here?

What I mean is, are the voices

1.  Intrusive thoughts where you have a kind of internal dialogue going relating to OCD? (as in, no real voice at all)
  2.  Or, audible voices which are auditory hallucinations relating to your OCD?
  3.  Or real life voices coming from neighbours for example, which relate to you OCD fears? 

If my memory serves me correctly, didn't you wear headphones Charlie to block out these voices from neighbours?

I just think it important to work out if it simply OCD, or something co-morbid going on.

I dont want to steal helens post yes i use headphones all the time to block it out its the only way i feel normal again.Its audible coming from outside the building people walking past the block i dont look over the balcony i just hear them.It can be terrifying because i feel in danger.

Its not as bad now because the windows are all shut because its cold

Edited by Charlie ocd

Auditory hallucinations is the standard psychiatric description. But the organisation, Hearing Voices, uses the description hearing voices. This is based upon research by a Dutch psychiatric team, replicated many times, that hearing voices is much more common than previously imagined.

My local mental health trust finances a charity to run a hearing voices group in the community and another group runs for inpatients.

If you go to a group, or go on the Hearing Voices Forum, you will hear and read  accounts of people with a variety of mental health diagnoses,and some without, who have experiences of hearing voices. The Form, for example, has people with an OCD diagnosis hearing voices. Bereavement is one example when many people hear voices, especially of the recently departed.

In general, people report problems with hearing voices when comments are negative. Not when positive. This applies whether the voices speak in the third person - ‘she is a wonderful person’ or in the second person - ‘you are a wonderful person’.

It is when a person hears negative comments about themselves that problems arise.

If there is a hearing voices group in your locality you could attend. I would ring the coordinator to discuss attendance before attending. You can find groups by looking on the Hearing Voices Forum.

Hi again. Just been on the NHS info site on auditory hallucinations/hearing voices. 

There is a variety of info there.

Two direct links will take you to the Hearing Voices site and another to the Mental Heaith Foundation site which discusses the evidence. The estimates for Hearing Voices ranges from 5 per cent of the general population up to 28 per cent.