Deal with it later

One technique I often use is to tell myself "I will deal with this later, but not right now". 

It can feel overwhelming the idea of leaving something alone which feels so urgent, real and alarming - forever. But you can think "OK I will be irresponsible for now. I will deal with this later." Then when later comes you may find you can think "OK I will leave this a little longer " and eventually it starts to bother you a little less, then a little less. 

It's similar to the one day at a time philosophy of addicts. 

I've found is really helped me to drastically curb the amount of ruminating I do so thought I'd share! 

Edited by gingerbreadgirl

It's a really good technique, I do something similar except I say I will put it on the backburner. Essentially it is exactly the same thing.

Very often I find that what I had been worrying about doesn't actually matter anymore..

Thank you for sharing. 

It's also good as an anti-argument measure. 

If we can't initially agree on something with, say, a significant other, deferring the outcome whilst each party gives it further consideration usually leads to one party agreeing to make concessions or both parties agreeing to make changes to the proposition, thus avoiding conflict :)

Hello

thank you gbg/Steve m.w/daja/lost in time/taurean. 

This is a good technique. One of my therapists said to create a worry period during your day. Then you defer the thought till later. And then when you are at the time of your worry period if the thought is not bothering you then u can just move on. If the thought still bothers you then what I do is a thought chart using theory A - what OCD says OR theory B - what’s actually happening/alternative cognition. 

This technique is explained in the Break Free of OCD book. It’s good.