Sick at the train station

On my way to work this morning someone had puked at the train station. The whole place stunk of it and I breathed the smell in. Now I can’t get myself clean. My nose feels dirty as well as my clothes and shoes. I feel ill never get clean and Christmas is ruined. It’s on my phone and everything. I also feel I am definitely going to get sick as I breathed in the dirty particles. Help. I know i should obsess but I am. I don’t feel I can act normally as the sick will just go everywhere as it’s all over me

Edited by jennielouises

I'm sorry to see that you are suffering. Try to think of it like this though. The chances of there being anything as harmful as you are thinking is extremely low. Also, try to understand that just because you can smell something doesn't mean you are being infected with it. You didn't roll around in it. I understand it is scary but the truth is that the risk is actually really low and OCD is making you extremely sensitive to an assumed risk that really isn't there. 

Thank you for your replies. That really helps. I am reading breaking free from ocd to help myself feel better and it says that although challenging it is scary that something bad might happen, something bad has already happened as ocd has ruled my life which is the bad thing. 

But how do I ignore the almost physical feeling of dirt? It’s so disgusting and I feel gross

Oh I know it feels horrible. Without trying to be graphic, I recently went to the toilet and I freak out about bodily fluids. Parts of my body feel like they are burning with pain from contaminants and I feel so unclean but I’m trying to ignore them because what they are telling me isn’t true. And I have to ignore it. You have to try and do the same. The easiest thing would be to try and clean everything but that will just reinforce the problem. Be strong. I know you can do it!

There is no dirt. It only exists in your mind. You didn't get down and roll in vomit. Yes the smell was evident but that dissipates. Neither you nor anything you own is contaminated with vomit.

Doing any kind of cleaning because of this non-event would be a compulsion and a mistake.

Edited by PolarBear