can you succeed with a mental illness

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, bobfish said:

Are you going to see the GP?

46 minutes ago, bruces said:

I  currently weighing up what options I have. 

After all the advice you have been given about seeing your GP, you reply with a comment like that! This isn't the first time either, you also frequently ignore such replies, which can appear a bit rude to be honest, or as if it one huge wind up!

Edited by felix4
2 hours ago, bruces said:

I  currently weighing up what options I have. 

What's there to weigh up Bruce's?  You either do nothing and carry on with the tormented existence you have or you bite the bullet and seek further help.

I'm not a doctor or psychiatrist so can only second-guess and may be wide of the mark, so forgive me.......but I've watched your posts for a few years, I used to think you were severely depressed.......I'm not so sure.  I think you suffer from low mood, from OCD but there's also a huge measure of apathy in there and that's something you can do something about.

Make 2019 one where you give yourself a kick in the proverbial and do something Bruce's.  First stop, make a GP appointment and sail with the wind.

There are only so many ways and so many times people can keep responding and offering sympathetic advice.  If you won't help yourself, how can anyone else?

Hi yes I'm sorry I shouldn't put my compulsions on here,I'm a bit loathed to go back to my gp as I remember the last time he said your just going to have to live with it and that smacks a little hard to me. 

GPs vary in their competence as do occupants of every other occupation. So see another GP. I always try to track down a good competent member of an occupation. At the moment I have succeeded with my GP.

I am a writer and I find mental illness has actually helped me. I’ve had success with articles being published about my mental health, the last of which I got paid for. I write stories about mental illness too and am hoping I will have something published at some point. I don’t know what I’d write about if I didn’t have them! There is an added benefit that places nowadays are often specifically looking for underrepresented voices, which includes people with disabilities, physical or mental. However this doesn’t mean I resist getting better. If I got worse I’d been too ill to write so I am putting effort into my recovery because I know where I want to be.

Of course not everyone wants to be a writer! But the point I’m trying to make is that mental illness needn’t hold you back. It can sometimes even be helpful- recovering from mental illness takes a lot of strength, so at the very least you know you are a strong person, but you need to put the effort into getting better because otherwise nothing will happen and you will feel like a failure.

I have OCD and BPD and have had some very hard times in my life. I could have just laid back and cried about it, wishing things were different- and I’ve certainly done that in the past! But I’ve taken the route of trying to get myself better and knowing that the knowledge I’ve gained from having mental illnesses gives me a lot to write about.

12 hours ago, bruces said:

Hi yes I'm sorry I shouldn't put my compulsions on here,I'm a bit loathed to go back to my gp as I remember the last time he said your just going to have to live with it and that smacks a little hard to me. 

Try another GP in the practise......but who ever you see, be assertive.  It is your right to receive treatment, tell them "I can perhaps see where you're coming from but none the less, I would still ask that you make a referral  to someone who can offer support and help me to explore my options"

Make 2019 a year where you put procastrination aside and opt for "doing"

I need to do something I cannot continue this way,although what concerns me a little is having several rounds of cbt already and it not having any affect although I'm not holding the therapy responsible for that probably more likely me! 

16 hours ago, bruces said:

I'm not holding the therapy responsible for that probably more likely me! 

It's a New Year Bruces, not that it really makes a difference but it can be a time for reflection and putting down new markers, make this year one where you make changes.  CBT isn't magic, sometimes it is because the therapy hasn't been good....but also, because we haven't "really" applied ourselves either.  It's a common mistake we all make, to presume that attending sessions will make us better.  It doesn't.  We have to actively engage with what we are taught and it is suggested we do.  How's about it?

21 minutes ago, bruces said:

I need to do something as I simply cannot carry on living the way I do x 

Hi bruces. 

How many times have you been saying this? 

You yourself are what is holding things up. 

So how about stating three key things that you are committed to getting right on and doing this year. 

Let's put seeing another GP at the practice down as no 1.

So, you tell us the other two things that you are going to change to start bringing about the new you? 

8 hours ago, bruces said:

I need to do something

That's not quite what I asked :; I said "How's about it?"

Taurean has set you a good challenge, how's about that too?

Stop wafting things off into the distant future, start today.  Pick a phone up this afternoon and book yourself a GP appointment

Hi sorry to repost but I'm having a particularly bad day and just wanted somebody to give me a bit of hope x 

Hi Bruces, I'm really sorry you're having a tough day I hope it improves, get busy with something.  I'm sure everyone wishes the same for you but the type of response you're looking for is reassurance  and sadly, hinders more than helps.  Try and recognise when this happens and see if you can identify that this is what you're doing.  Seeking a hopeful response that will make you feel better for a while but only for a while.  To feel better you need to look at the whole package and start to put forward a simple plan of the gradual changes that people have suggested