Hygiene /contamination etc.

Thank you all for your input.  I really appreciate it.  Feel very lost and stuck with this.  I have no frame of reference other than my partner, who is crazy with this kind of stuff.  And I no longer trust my old judgements on this, although I know I should.  This whole white blood cell thing feels like it's complicated things but really I know my OCD has latched onto it and is trying to convince me it means my worries are rational. I know they're not.  But I don't feel it. 

I won't clean my phone, when I'm doing tea tonight I'll deliberately use my phone throughout. 

5 minutes ago, gingerbreadgirl said:

I won't clean my phone, when I'm doing tea tonight I'll deliberately use my phone throughout

Excellent idea. You are so good at challenging yourself GBG, you should give yourself lots of credit :)

11 minutes ago, gingerbreadgirl said:

ha I think I'm kind of bad at it actually! Well actually I challenge myself plenty but I also undo it all with plenty of compulsions :blushing:

Yeah but who doesn't, you still go back and fight again :boxing:

I'm just really surprised that I've made it to my great age :wheelchair:   :lol: 

The only time I clean my phone is when I'm struggling to see the numbers 'cos they're covered in make-up.  

I don't use my phone when I'm cooking for no other reason than I'm not attached to my phone.....Put Your Phone Down for 5 Minutes, you'll survive!!  Seriously, if the phone rang I'd answer it, not wash my hands and carry on cooking.

I could clear up after my dog whilst on a walk and then eat a sweet or chocolate

I rarely clean switches or door handles unless they're visibly dirty

I frequently forget/don't bother to wash my hands before making myself a sandwich

I don't wash my hands after stroking my dogs or anyone else's dog's.  I kiss my dog's

I sound like a right slob :D  but my point is, I've survived all these years with no problems

1 hour ago, Caramoole said:

I'm just really surprised that I've made it to my great age :wheelchair:   :lol: 

The only time I clean my phone is when I'm struggling to see the numbers 'cos they're covered in make-up.  

I don't use my phone when I'm cooking for no other reason than I'm not attached to my phone.....Put Your Phone Down for 5 Minutes, you'll survive!!  Seriously, if the phone rang I'd answer it, not wash my hands and carry on cooking.

I could clear up after my dog whilst on a walk and then eat a sweet or chocolate

I rarely clean switches or door handles unless they're visibly dirty

I frequently forget/don't bother to wash my hands before making myself a sandwich

I don't wash my hands after stroking my dogs or anyone else's dog's.  I kiss my dog's

I sound like a right slob :D  but my point is, I've survived all these years with no problems

I totally agree with this approach Caramoole, rational non-OCD me (who is still there, deep down :D ) believes society's obsession with germs is ridiculous.  As a kid I would feed, kiss and cuddle the cats while in the middle of eating dinner, I'd pick up worms and snails in the garden and get covered in mud and then happily eat snacks, it would never have crossed my mind to worry and we were never overly worried about germs as a family.  The rule was basically, wash your hands after the loo and before cooking and otherwise, sod it. 

I still believe this and I think germs are natural and probably even good for us.  Unfortunately my OCD didn't get the memo :(  and it has latched onto this blood result my OH has had because I'm not totally sure what it means.  The doctor hasn't recommended anything special though (yet) so I guess I have to just carry on as normal. 

I'm going to work really hard at challenging this. 

Edited by gingerbreadgirl
40 minutes ago, gingerbreadgirl said:

I totally agree with this approach Caramoole, rational non-OCD me (who is still there, deep down :D ) believes society's obsession with germs is ridiculous.  As a kid I would feed, kiss and cuddle the cats while in the middle of eating dinner, I'd pick up worms and snails in the garden and get covered in mud and then happily eat snacks, it would never have crossed my mind to worry and we were never overly worried about germs as a family.  The rule was basically, wash your hands after the loo and before cooking and otherwise, sod it. 

I still believe this and I think germs are natural and probably even good for us.  Unfortunately my OCD didn't get the memo :(  and it has latched onto this blood result my OH has had because I'm not totally sure what it means.  The doctor hasn't recommended anything special though (yet) so I guess I have to just carry on as normal. 

I'm going to work really hard at challenging this. 

You can do this! If I can fight back, so can you because I’m a scared kitty cat.