Swallowing/sensorimotor back again with a vengeance.

So, for the longest time I had nothing, zero OCD symptoms whatsoever (that would clearly impact on my life). Whatever little thoughts that did arise were quickly forgotten about. 

I don't know why, but I started thinking lately about how horrible it would be if I got this OCD back again, how it could ruin my life, how I might never be happy again... and then it happened. 

Once the fear takes over, it becomes a continuous loop. What a horrible, horrible condition.  :weep:  

Edited by SuperInfinity

Remember that you once batted it away and you can do it again. It’s found a window in but that doesn’t mean you can’t close that window and keep that annoying gremlin out of your mind. Ignore him and let them float away. If you see yourself ruminating, acknowledge that you are ruminating and that it is just OCD and not real issues per say. I know you can deal with this man! I believe! Go ahead and beat that joker!

1 hour ago, BigDave said:

Remember that you once batted it away and you can do it again. It’s found a window in but that doesn’t mean you can’t close that window and keep that annoying gremlin out of your mind. Ignore him and let them float away. If you see yourself ruminating, acknowledge that you are ruminating and that it is just OCD and not real issues per say. I know you can deal with this man! I believe! Go ahead and beat that joker!

yeah, thanks for the supportive post, it means a lot. You're right, and I don't got time for this **** anymore. Go **** yourself OCD.  

17 hours ago, SuperInfinity said:

yeah, thanks for the supportive post, it means a lot. You're right, and I don't got time for this **** anymore. Go **** yourself OCD.  

Just be like Danny Glover in Lethal Weapon and say “I’m too old for this sh...”. You get my point anyway lol.

I'm sorry that you are struggling with this obsession again. I've had various forms of sensorimotor OCD over the years, but I dealt with a swallowing obsession for the longest amount of time. It can be really horrible.  I eventually got over it and didn't have any problems with swallowing for about 10 years. I had a minor relapse with it in recent years. Taking a "so what?" approach (so what if I notice my swallowing, so what if I feel the urge to swallow...) rather than trying to fight it and get rid of the thoughts seemed to help. That may sound like an obvious approach, but it took awhile for that to click in my mind. Best of luck to you.

4 hours ago, mw321 said:

I'm sorry that you are struggling with this obsession again. I've had various forms of sensorimotor OCD over the years, but I dealt with a swallowing obsession for the longest amount of time. It can be really horrible.  I eventually got over it and didn't have any problems with swallowing for about 10 years. I had a minor relapse with it in recent years. Taking a "so what?" approach (so what if I notice my swallowing, so what if I feel the urge to swallow...) rather than trying to fight it and get rid of the thoughts seemed to help. That may sound like an obvious approach, but it took awhile for that to click in my mind. Best of luck to you.

Sounds good mw321. It really is amazing the level of panic and discomfort you can get over nothing at all, just some silly, silly thought. Thanks for the support, nice to know I'm not the only one who gets this. :)

Edited by SuperInfinity
54 minutes ago, SuperInfinity said:

Sounds good mw321. It really is amazing the level of panic and discomfort you can get over nothing at all, just some silly, silly thought. Thanks for the support, nice to know I'm not the only one who gets this. :)

It probably seems like such a minor problem to people who haven't experienced it, but it can be extremely distressing. I remember being amazed to find out that other people had the same problem, and it had a name (sensorimotor OCD). I always assumed that I was the only person who had those thoughts. I still deal with sensorimotor OCD to a lesser extent. I currently have issues with the eye-contact form. It's a little easier to deal with, only because I don't have to always make eye-contact with people. It is really difficult in certain situations though.