Happy New Year and Musings

Hey everyone. 

First of all, a happy new year to you all. Herein are some amazing and wonderful people who I have had the pleasure of talking to and who, in their spare time, offer help and guidance. Trust me when I say you folks (you know who you are) are invaluable treasures and I hope, when my OCD gets intense, like with others here, to help and give back in the same way. Here in the UK, while available on the NHS, CBT and other forms of psychotherapy are hard to come by unless you have the financial means or employment benefits to go privately. With this in mind, the efforts of those here who give support to others goes and incredibly long way. For anyone reading this who is new and/or is struggling, do TRY and listen to these kind folk and their advice. While sometimes it may seem abrupt, the cold hard reality is that there is no easy way around OCD. Take their advice and never give up on yourself. 

While my OCD is still in a bad place, I can tell you that when I joined this forum over a year ago, at that time, I was often unable to sleep in my own bed due to fears of contamination and would spend numerous nights sleeping on our couch scared to even step foot into my bedroom. While I obviously do give credit also to my therapist who I must say has been a gem too, if it wasn’t for the words of PolarBear and others that night months ago that shook me out of that place I was in, I would have never taken the chance to push myself back into my room that night and now I don’t sleep downstairs at all!

While obviously there are still many issues which remain, from moral ruminations to contamination issues, checking and revulsion things amongst other problems, this place has at least in part helped me on my way and it is the success stories of people such as PB, Taurean and of course those others here that I now believe I can beat this or at least reduce it to the point I can have a better quality of life and that in itself is so exciting and thrilling. 

So, as for 2019, I intend to battle the fear of feces, urine, cat poo and many other horrors that my OCD has made me fear and push on. And as terrifying as they might be, I will try. You have to try. You have to want to get better and you have to push yourself. I know you people can and I will fight back with you all the way for a better future. 

Happy New Year to all of you and I wish you nothing but happiness and prosperity for 2019 and beyond. 

What an inspirational post Big Dave. 

Let's not let anyone tell us that learning what to do is complex. The essentials can be found around CBT for OCD self-help books the forums and the website  and when boiled down in that fashion are easy to see - though applying them needs belief and lots of homework and commitment. 

A really good start for newbies is the excellent groundwork to be found on our wonderful charity's OCD-UK's website. 

Onwards and upwards everyone - and listen to WE not your OCD! 

Edited by taurean

Nice one Big Dave.  I have been reading through some of your posts as I have many of the same fears as yourself.  So you can count yourself as an inspiration as well!  You say getting CBT on the NHS is hard to come by but are seeing a therapist so have you succeeded? I ask as I'm currently on the waiting list but have been given no indication of how long this may take.  I hope you and us all have a successful 2019 in trying to conquer this terrible affliction.

I was lucky enough to be able to get to see a therapist because my job comes with a private healthcare scheme but even that comes with limited sessions. My understanding but I'm no expert is that it does take a while. I know there are some more able people to give you a better timeline but I think it does vary between region which isn't ideal.