Becoming obsessed with thoughts - things getting worse (Merged Thread)

Guest Phil10

15 minutes ago, Phil10 said:

I’m afraid I can’t get CBT I have been told by the doctors and psychiatrist they knew I was seeing a private one though and never minded. I would have to pay money to see another CBT theripst. I have a wedding in a few months I have no spare money to see another theripst for atleast a few months.

You really need to fight that decision if that’s the case, but hasn’t the situation changed? I thought you weren’t seeing anyone privately at the moment. Make that call Phil, I’m sure your GP would be able to back you up or if necessary the charity can.....no more ifs or buts.

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Phil10
23 minutes ago, Hal said:

You really need to fight that decision if that’s the case, but hasn’t the situation changed? I thought you weren’t seeing anyone privately at the moment. Make that call Phil, I’m sure your GP would be able to back you up or if necessary the charity can.....no more ifs or buts.

I don’t like going to doctors and i have never been the type to pester doctors to force CBT. I was refused simple. I may seek further CBT but I would have to find a new theripst and more funds becuase despite having 8 sessions I would most likely have to do another 8 or more meaning I would need atleast £300 pounds as it’s £40 per hour. Earlier in the topic people said pay the money as I was replacing stuff so it made sense to spend money on it but I am no longer doing that compulsion so it’s hard to find hundreds of pounds. All I can say is I have asked for CBT for over a decade and I was refused so no I’m afraid I won’t keep asking. So yes any future Cbt I would have to make sure I can afford it. 

It’s not about pestering or forcing it’s about holding you’re ground and pushing to receive what you’re entitled to and deserve through the NHS. Why not get in touch with Ashley, I’m sure the charity could help out with some advocacy on your behalf? 

Guest OCDhavenobrain

I dont want to be such but Phil you have to have a looot of "dirty" replaced stuff. Sell it. Also you are speaking about replacing doors and houses, how can you afford that?

Edited by OCDhavenobrain
Guest Phil10

The ocd’s goal is for me to replace stuff. I hate buying new stuff as within hours I worry it’s dirty. I went to the toilet today and worried my watch waved close to the toilet plunger so then I worried my new shoes were dirty simple becuase I touched the box after the toilet. Right now the toilet plunger is causing me so much stress I can’t get rid of it becuase if I block the toilet I require it.

My solution Phil would be to initially throw yourself into working through a CBT for OCD workbook. 

They aren't expensive, and will give you something tangible to work from - both from the knowledge of what is going on and what to change, and the working through homework - point of view. 

I think there is one in the shop on the OCD-UK website. 

I see someone not wishing to make notes of the wonderful advice given here, or read back through the guidance on the threads - much much more beneficial activities than ruminating and posting on here. 

So if you won't do that, and really do want to get better, then I reckon the workbook is for you :)

Guest Phil10
21 minutes ago, OCDhavenobrain said:

I dont want to be such but Phil you have to have a looot of "dirty" replaced stuff. Sell it. Also you are speaking about replacing doors and houses, how can you afford that?

I had other reasons for the house move but ocd was 1/3rd if the reason. 

Guest Phil10

Right now it feels like the toilet plunger has ruined my life with it just sitting there tormenting me making me feel awful. I considered binning it and buying new for each blockage atleast I could avoid the anxiety of it sitting there. I mean perhaps I have never touched it but it’s these thoughts like my washing machine is dirty my new shoes are dirty it makes me feel awful. I am able to ignore many of these thoughts but often I find I focus on one or two that’s my downfall. 

9 minutes ago, Phil10 said:

The ocd’s goal is for me to replace stuff. I hate buying new stuff as within hours I worry it’s dirty. I went to the toilet today and worried my watch waved close to the toilet plunger so then I worried my new shoes were dirty simple becuase I touched the box after the toilet. Right now the toilet plunger is causing me so much stress I can’t get rid of it becuase if I block the toilet I require it.

I’m sorry Phil but I’m going to lock the thread in a minute, just for a short while. 

Can I make a suggestion though... get off the laptop or mobile for the rest of today and immerse yourself in a good film, meet up with a couple of mates and have a pint, go for a walk before dinner....anything that’s going to help you shift gears and get a different perspective.

As I say, I or one of the team will re-open this for you, but please in the meantime do what will help you, so no ruminating about the plunger, your watch....let the thoughts just be there and focus on your surroundings if you go for a walk or really work at engaging in the storyline of the film.

On with those :sport_boxing:show the OCD what you’ve got.

• Hal locked this topic