Break the OCD routine

Hi guys! :;

I just want to talk about the importance of having a hobbie to break the OCD routine. Our OCD causes us to repeat certain behaviors (compulsions) over and over again. Life is spent in a continual vicious cycle of thoughts, feelings, and rituals. We are constantly spending time doing the same rituals over and over again during the day. 

One helpful way to start to disrupt this OCD routine is to have a new hobbie, something that maintain our mind busy on doing something productive with our time. Hobbies are often something we think of as something for people who have tons of free time, but there are many, many benefits to having a hobby. Even if you think you don't have the time, having a hobby is worth making time for because of the many emotional, mental, and physical benefits, many of which I've experienced first hand. 

For example, in my case I was able to take salsa lessons years ago even though my OCD was really bad in that time, I took tennis lessons for 2 years in 2014 even though my OCD was unbearable, 2 years ago I took a sign language course during a year, currently I do exercise with a personal trainer 2 times per week. We can do amazing things even when we think we are not able to do them.

My last hobbie is playing solitaire on the computer (a hobbie can be something so simple as playing a video game) and It helps me a lot to maintain my mind focus on something else that is not my OCD.

Finding a new hobby isn't always easy. You can't just force yourself to like something; it has to come naturally. If you don't already have something you're interested in (or might be interested in), try new things. Sign up for a class that sounds interesting or ask your friends what kinds of hobbies they enjoy doing. The key to finding a new hobby—and falling in love with it—is keeping an open mind and being willing to give new things a try. You never know what might become your next favorite past-time! 

The best way to keep your mind busy is to find something productive to you. :darts:  

big hug :stereo:

Really great advice Andrea! If you're able, I think any kind of sport is a great activity. I have started playing squash again after over a year and I noticed how good it was at occupying my mind - running around naturally makes me feel good but I also had to stay focused on where the ball was going to be able to play. 

I absolutely agree Andrea. My wife and I are retired, and have plenty of creative and beneficial activities which help to keep us in good mental and physical health. 

For example I am in the process of creating a photo essay of our gorgeous village. And I love going to the gym and swimming 

We both love gardening and visiting National Trust properties and birdwatching - and I grab a few days angling. 

20 hours ago, malina said:

Really great advice Andrea! If you're able, I think any kind of sport is a great activity. I have started playing squash again after over a year and I noticed how good it was at occupying my mind - running around naturally makes me feel good but I also had to stay focused on where the ball was going to be able to play. 

Hi malina :),

I agree with you: any kind of sport is a great activity :57439eb60db27_thumbup: I've never played squash but it seems an amazing sport to face OCD because you have to move so fast to hit the ball that  you don't have time to think about OCD. Congrats for having that great hobbie malina :thumbup:

20 hours ago, taurean said:

I absolutely agree Andrea. My wife and I are retired, and have plenty of creative and beneficial activities which help to keep us in good mental and physical health. 

For example I am in the process of creating a photo essay of our gorgeous village. And I love going to the gym and swimming 

We both love gardening and visiting National Trust properties and birdwatching - and I grab a few days angling. 

WOW Roy you have a lot of amazing hobbies! It is really impresive :57439eb60db27_thumbup:  

Exercise can help relax the mind such that suddenly clarity arrives. 

Just showering a little while ago, my brain was considering a current problem in the background, found an answer and popped it into my conscient thinking. 

Brilliant, thank you brain ?

On 27/01/2019 at 09:10, Angst said:

Absolutely agree having a hobby or set of hobbies or set of enthusiasms is important otherwise we become preoccupied with our troubles.

I agree with you Angst, hobbies are simply anything you do that’s for fun. It’s something you like to do with your free time that helps you decompress and connect with other people. Hobbies—from rock climbing to collecting silver spoons—can have real benefits. :comptech:  :artist::book: :juggle: :surfing: :smileys-gardening-291500:

On 27/01/2019 at 10:13, taurean said:

Exercise can help relax the mind such that suddenly clarity arrives. 

Just showering a little while ago, my brain was considering a current problem in the background, found an answer and popped it into my conscient thinking. 

Brilliant, thank you brain ?

Brilliant, Roy! :57439eb60db27_thumbup:

Taking care of plants is also a thing I really love to do. Sadly I live in a flat with no garden or balcony but I do have a few house plants and having to go through the routine of watering and caring for them occupies my mind and it's so rewarding when you see that they have grown because of the work that you put in. 

23 hours ago, malina said:

Taking care of plants is also a thing I really love to do. Sadly I live in a flat with no garden or balcony but I do have a few house plants and having to go through the routine of watering and caring for them occupies my mind and it's so rewarding when you see that they have grown because of the work that you put in. 

Hi malina,

I know nothing about plants :smileys-gardening-469310:. After reading your post it sounds like a great idea to have a plant. Maybe I give it a try :smileys-gardening-291500:

big hug

My wife Julie and I are gardeners. I do the heavy work, she the plant selection and care. 

It's beautifully mindful as you just slip into the activity. And when you are done you can slip into a chair (outside in the late Spring Summer and Autumn) and gently doze :sleeping: sip a communal cup of tea ? or put the headphones on ? 

I adore writing. I have had an interesting life so there could be an autobiography in me - though probably only my friends would want to read it :)

But you can probably tell that I enjoy writing topics and posts that I hope will help others. 

A life of being with others and interacting with them, and 35 years of marriage, mean that I am very easy in company - no shrinking violet. 

In my hometown of Rugby today, after visiting an elderly aunt in a care home, I drove into town to visit a tiny Inn that, in my childhood, had been converted into a fish and chip restaurant; but is now reconverted back to an Inn.

And what a delight. Oldy-worldy decor, real ales and with the daughter of the publican propping up the bar during her lunch break. 

I slipped into easy chat with everyone and 45 mins slipped by mindfully. 

Indeed my whole day was mindful: a gorgeous drive through sandstone villages and gentle rolling hills; a wonderful chat with my aunt; a toasted sandwich and coffee ☕ in Costa, some goodies from Poundland and a drive back, accompanied by Richard Clayderman on the music system in my car - with the satnav on scrolling maps to warn me of the many speed limit changes and speed cameras. 

A day in the present, in the moment - relaxed, happy and not obsessing or compulsing :smile:

Edited by taurean
On 29/01/2019 at 21:50, daja said:

Yes I like growing edible plants. It is a great hobby. Strawberries and wild garlic (ramsons) are my favourite.

WOW, Great hobbie daja! It is really impresive and healthy at the same time. What other edible plants do you have?

I live in the north of Chile, and the north of Chile has a desert weather, so there isn´t too much vegetation you can see around. You can see palm trees, cactus, banana trees and a few other trees and plants. But it is not a good weather to grow plants. On the other hand there are beautiful beaches :surfing: 

Edited by Andrea
On 29/01/2019 at 22:14, taurean said:

I adore writing. I have had an interesting life so there could be an autobiography in me - though probably only my friends would want to read it :)

But you can probably tell that I enjoy writing topics and posts that I hope will help others. 

A life of being with others and interacting with them, and 35 years of marriage, mean that I am very easy in company - no shrinking violet. 

In my hometown of Rugby today, after visiting an elderly aunt in a care home, I drove into town to visit a tiny Inn that, in my childhood, had been converted into a fish and chip restaurant; but is now reconverted back to an Inn.

And what a delight. Oldy-worldy decor, real ales and with the daughter of the publican propping up the bar during her lunch break. 

I slipped into easy chat with everyone and 45 mins slipped by mindfully. 

Indeed my whole day was mindful: a gorgeous drive through sandstone villages and gentle rolling hills; a wonderful chat with my aunt; a toasted sandwich and coffee ☕ in Costa, some goodies from Poundland and a drive back, accompanied by Richard Clayderman on the music system in my car - with the satnav on scrolling maps to warn me of the many speed limit changes and speed cameras. 

A day in the present, in the moment - relaxed, happy and not obsessing or compulsing :smile:

What a great day, Roy! A day in the present is priceless :thumbup:

7 hours ago, daja said:

Hey Andrea I have grown tomatoes, potatoes, chilli peppers, and cucumbers with success. And herbs like basil, parsley, mint, etc

Chile looks very pretty.

I'm jealous! Do you grow any of these indoors?