Traumatised by bins

Guest Phil10

36 minutes ago, Phil10 said:

Tell me about it the harder I avoid stuff something else crops up there seems to be lots of every day germ related issues..from dog poo on a shoe to touching a wheelie bin all these issues cause anxiety 

Phil if you concentrate on exposing yourself to one of these elements repeatedly, the other contamination triggers will fade at the same time as the one you are focusing on eradicating. So concentrate on one and the rest will become insignificant. Your brain will learn it's all bull

Guest OCDhavenobrain

I think you are in a bad spot right now Phil, and it's not because you are having the most intricate OCD ever. It's because you are doing a couple of things wrong. You are dismissing your therapists, you are dismissing all the sources which tells you how you should act (if this is OCD), you are telling yourself  you are not having OCD, you are even telling yourself  that you have no time to get better. Instead do you research and engaging with compulsions, both taking a lot of time and energy from you. But that is not the worst part, the worst part is that you will come nowhere if you continue like this, it could even get worse.

You are now saying you are convinced you are not having OCD, what does that mean?Will you stop researching about OCD and start identify yourself as something else, having GAD or just normal anxiety?

Edited by OCDhavenobrain
9 hours ago, Phil10 said:

Tell me about it the harder I avoid stuff something else crops up there seems to be lots of every day germ related issues..

Two things you need to realize from this.

1. Avoidance doesn't work, as  you are experiencing first hand.  The more you avoid, the strong the intrusive thought becomes, the more things it will demand you avoid.  And so on and so on.

2. There "seem" to be lots of every day germ related issue, and yet the vast majority of humanity doesn't react the same way you do to them.  Do you think thats because the rest of humanity is wrong and they should all be living like you are?  Or maybe its the other way around, the rest of humanity is doing just fine NOT living the way you do and maybe you should start accepting that your way of doing things isn't working. 

12 hours ago, Phil10 said:

So the issue is I did touch a bin but not for an exposure or becuase I wanted to but a situation occurred that my ocd couldn’t control. 

Unplanned yes, but its still exposure.  I was able to overcome my moderate intrusive thoughts related to flying not because I followed any specific program, but because life circumstances had my flying more often than I had in the past.  Each time was an exposure even though it wasn't planned specifically that way.  ERP not limited to pre-planned, scheduled, contained scenarios, you can apply the same principles and get the great benefit from confronting triggers in your day to day life, unplanned.  Eventually thats what you have to do anyway if you want to be able to lead a life uncontrolled by OCD.  After all, if you can only face your triggers in planned, regulated sessions, you really aren't recovering.

So take what you learned from this experience, you were able to touch a bin, you weren't able to wash, and the world kept turning, in the end you were just fine.  You've done it once, now you can feel more confident about doing it again.  Honestly the fastest way for you to get over this would be to touch bins all the time, but at the very least you need to start touching them during ERP sessions with a therapist or at home or something.  Its you vs. the bin Phil, you can be stronger.

On 07/02/2019 at 14:50, Phil10 said:

Tell me about it the harder I avoid stuff something else crops up there seems to be lots of every day germ related issues..from dog poo on a shoe to touching a wheelie bin all these issues cause anxiety 

That's the way OCD operates, try, if you can, to make the disorder's ubiquity, a plus. Its cry wolf earnestness is a clue to its redundancy. The germs aren't the problem.