Is there a way to tell my brain to shut up?

Serious question. 

Whenever I walk past my TV, if I as much as breathe, I’m worried about getting spit on my screen. If I walk into my room with wet hands from not being able to find a towel or a shower and dash to my room, I’m worried about moving my hand to close to the tv and getting water on it. Yes I know if I did, it could wipe off but then I ask myself, will it wipe off with just a cloth if I spot it later. IF I use a cleaning liquid, you get that god awful smear effect and I really dont want to go down that road. I swear though, it’s insanity. I am so TRULY fed up with assessing my TV every day but I can’t ignore it. Damn it grr!

You really want to know what to do? Walk over to your TV and spit on it. Then next time your hands are wet, shake them off near the TV, ensuring you get some drops on the screen. And don't clean it. Don't you dare clean it until repeatedly doing these exposures causes you no anxiety.

That's how you stop the thoughts.

Edited by PolarBear

Yes. OCD creates stupid rules and an unwanted unpleasant emotional reaction to enforce them. 

But the rules are really ridiculous nonsense, the threat situations unreal - just fabricated and endowed with perceived threat that cannily makes us believe it. 

We overcome the "rules" by a process of structured exposure and response prevention - gradually breaking the rules and challenging that perceived threat till it is shown as a sham and the anxiety fades. 

This takes time, there is no quick fix - but it works, as PolarBear says. 

• 2 weeks later...

Indeed. By showing with exposure that nothing bad will happen if the OCD feared thing does occur, it takes the sting out of it, we stop believing it, anxiety fades away - and intrusions tail off in power and frequency. 

And our mind and body relax. 

Doesn't happen straight away - there is no quick fix - but it works. This is CBT for OCD in action. 

Edited by taurean