Feeling depressed

Been a while since I posted and I’m happy to report this as a good thing because I’ve actually been doing quite well recently OCD-wise. Much better than I was and I felt like I was almost out of the woods.

But the past two days or so, I’ve been feeling very depressed. OCD is a part of that depression but there’s also a lot else contributing to it. My workplace has become a rather toxic environment with what seems to be this bizarre civil war between my co-workers and bosses. My diet the past week in particular has been pretty awful. I haven’t exercised or been to the gym since before Christmas, something I was regularly doing at the time... Even small things like the ending to a new TV show I started watching getting spoiled for me. That’s not a big deal but it’s added to how dreadful I feel in a ridiculously distorted way.

And where there is depressing emotions, there is also OCD. I swear, whenever an OCD thought or feeling pops into my head it just spins me out, the guilt and shame just adds to this wretched feeling and I feel like I can derive no pleaseure or happiness from anything. Clearly I have some compulsions I need to sort out before I can consider my recovery fully on the way. Does anybody have any coping mechanisms if they fall into a really depressed mood for a few days? This is something I’ve not had in quite a while and I never really had a system for it.

Hi Ollie,

Exercise helps me a lot and diet. I'm no gym rat and certainly not in shape, but I try to do some exercise everyday, even if it is just a walk on my dinner break and I have been eating more healthily since the new year. Nothing OTT, just more veg and using portion control to not over do it, and I have to say that it has helped lift my mood a lot more. I've also started to read more than just watch TV and I find this helps me take my mind of things somewhat.

I do think that feeling better physically does help me feel better mentally. But I did also start seeing a councellor last year and this has also helped me. As my councellor say's to me, the counselling is mainly about taking ownership of your feelings and it's helped me to work out what things I want out of life and what things I have no control over and what things I should just leave alone and move on from.

It's not been OCD based, but it's helped me clear my mind of some of the other 'junk' that I have been holding onto and left me better able to deal with my OCD as a separate entity.

One thing that it has taught me, is that if I am feeling say anxious or depressed, I need to stop and ask myself why I am feeling that way? and it makes me concentrate and think about what it is that is distressing me and think about how I can stop it and whether like I mention above, it is either in my control or not. For example, if I am feeling anxious about a situation and I stop and think about it and realise that it is my OCD, then I know I accept that it is my OCD and I need to use what I've learnt from CBT therapy to deal with it.

Symps