Dr Elaine Ryan online self help course

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to get peoples opinions if possible. 

I had a course of CBT (12 sessions) that ended last autumn and it helped to some degree i.e. with some aspects. I am still however not where I’d like to be and I do have bad episodes. OCD is there everyday and it’s a mixture of ok, not great and totally out of control. So I need to do more work. 

A forum user recently posted a video clip by a Dr Elaine Ryan which I found useful. I googled her and found her website and she has self help online courses available. There’s one for OCD and you can preview the course before you buy and it does look very comprehensive and thorough. There’s lots of exercises, information, downloadable resources and worksheets. It’s CBT with mindfulness and some ACT too. I think it looks good. It’s €99 as she’s based in Ireland, so roughly £87 as a one off payment for lifetime use.  

I’m currently a full time mum so I have no disposable income so that’s a lot of money to me at the moment. So I’m just wondering in the first instance if anyone has used this resource in order to get some feedback about it so I can make more of an informed decision. 

But also, if anyone has any time to look at it, because on her website there’s a video where she discusses and outlines the course, I’d be very grateful for your input too. That’s just a thought if anyone does have the time to look at it, but of course no worries at all if no one does has the time. Sorry if that’s a cheeky ask. 

I hope you all have a good day. X

Edited by Emsie

Hi Emsie, I'm afraid I don't have any direct experience with Dr. Ryan (i'm not exactly in her neighborhood here in Tokyo :D) but I did look through the info on her and her credentials at least seem to be pretty solid.  I'll try and take a look at the videos after work, but just skimming the topics they seem legitimate.  The video linked from the other page, for example, mentions the use of ACT (a type of CBT) that I used when working with my therapist back in the States.
I can appreciate you wanting to be careful with your money, especially if finances are tight.  Hopefully some people with more experience can chime in here and give you stronger opinions.  I would say though, that price seems pretty great for the resources it seems to include, not much more than the price of a couple of self-guided therapy books really.  Of course no matter how good the deal is, if you can't afford it you can't afford it, and I get that, but maybe its something you can set a little aside for over time.  Anyway once i've had a chance to review the videos I'll let you know!

8 hours ago, Andrea said:

Hi Emsie :),

I  tried to search online for information about the video but I didn't find it. Can you post the link of  Dr Elaine Ryan's video? I think that woould be helpful.

big hug

Hi Andrea, thank you for your reply. Because of the rules of the forum I cannot post a link, but if you google her name, you'll see her website and then if you look at her self help materials there's a promo video for the OCD online course to watch on her actual website. No pressure of course to take a look. 

Big hug too X 

4 hours ago, dksea said:

I believe its the video from this thread:

Hi dksea, thank you, this is a brief snippet of one of her resources. On her website, there's a promo video of her OCD online course that you can watch that outlines the whole course. The link you gave is what lead me to look her up. Thank you. 

4 hours ago, dksea said:

Hi Emsie, I'm afraid I don't have any direct experience with Dr. Ryan (i'm not exactly in her neighborhood here in Tokyo :D) but I did look through the info on her and her credentials at least seem to be pretty solid.  I'll try and take a look at the videos after work, but just skimming the topics they seem legitimate.  The video linked from the other page, for example, mentions the use of ACT (a type of CBT) that I used when working with my therapist back in the States.
I can appreciate you wanting to be careful with your money, especially if finances are tight.  Hopefully some people with more experience can chime in here and give you stronger opinions.  I would say though, that price seems pretty great for the resources it seems to include, not much more than the price of a couple of self-guided therapy books really.  Of course no matter how good the deal is, if you can't afford it you can't afford it, and I get that, but maybe its something you can set a little aside for over time.  Anyway once i've had a chance to review the videos I'll let you know!

Hi again dksea, thank you so much for your reply, I really appreciate it. No, I don't have any experience of her either as I'm based in England and she's in Ireland. Wow, Tokyo sounds great! Thank you so much for looking her up, so kind of you. On her actual website there is a promo video of her self help course for OCD that outlines the materials, how it works etc. Thank you so much, that's very kind of you to take a look later, but no pressure, only if you have the time. 

Yes, I need to be careful with money at the moment but I agree the price seems ok based on the resources it 'seems' to include, just wary I suppose in case it's not as advertised. Yes, good plan, if I feel it's worthwhile trying it then I will set a little aside. Thank you so much again and thank you so much if you do get a chance to review the promo video on her website, but no worries you can't, there's no pressure of course. 

Best wishes to you,

Em X

Edited by Emsie

Hi emsie

I have had a quick look at her video and her website. From what i can tell she seems legitimate. I don't have any experience with her or know anyone who has.

I know OCD uk had a lot of information on the main website about seeking treatment and how to look for the relevant attributes in a therapist.  if your still unsure would it be worth emailing Ashley to get his view ? 

Lastly the CBT you had so far. Was That via the NHS ? Is there any possibility you could be referred for a few more sessions ? Just thinking about it from a financial point of view as well ?

44 minutes ago, Avo said:

Hi emsie

I have had a quick look at her video and her website. From what i can tell she seems legitimate. I don't have any experience with her or know anyone who has.

I know OCD uk had a lot of information on the main website about seeking treatment and how to look for the relevant attributes in a therapist.  if your still unsure would it be worth emailing Ashley to get his view ? 

Lastly the CBT you had so far. Was That via the NHS ? Is there any possibility you could be referred for a few more sessions ? Just thinking about it from a financial point of view as well ?

Hi Avo, bless you, thank you so much for looking at her video and website and for your reply, that's so kind of you. 

Good idea to look on the OCD UK main website, thank you. And yes I could ask Ashley too, but I know how busy he is so ideally I wouldn't want to bother him. 

The CBT that I've had so far was with the NHS, I could refer myself again but my therapist told me that I had to wait 6 months before doing that. From a financial point of view that would be best, but when that 6 months has lapsed I'll then have to jump through some hoops before I go back on the waiting list and last time I waited 9 months once I'd been placed on the list. My therapist was ok and nice, but I'm not sure if she was good enough. 

Thank you so much for your reply and advice Avo, you're a star. I hope everything is ok with you and you're doing well. X

Hi Emsie,

I can see your concern over the NHS option, that's potentially an awful long time to wait, do you know if you would end up with the same therapist again? or would their policy be to put you with someone new? but anyway I accept its an awfully long time which is tough when we ate struggling.

It does seem that maybe your local authority needs more investment in the mental health side of things.

I would not rule out contacting Ashley, should you feel you still need a bit of guidance after looking the main OCD UK website  - he is busy but he I think is well versed in picking through the treatment process, he may have even been asked about this particular therapist in the past? or asked a similar question and knows how best to help you reach a decision. 

I am ok thanks - tired but that's normal it seems with me!  I have various issues on the go but then I suppose that's life and everyone has things they have to deal with. 

Hi Avo, 

5 hours ago, Avo said:

I can see your concern over the NHS option, that's potentially an awful long time to wait, do you know if you would end up with the same therapist again? or would their policy be to put you with someone new? but anyway I accept its an awfully long time which is tough when we ate struggling.

Thank you, yes it would be about a years wait I reckon. I think it would be the same therapist as I got that impression. 

5 hours ago, Avo said:

I would not rule out contacting Ashley, should you feel you still need a bit of guidance after looking the main OCD UK website  - he is busy but he I think is well versed in picking through the treatment process, he may have even been asked about this particular therapist in the past? or asked a similar question and knows how best to help you reach a decision. 

Good point Avo, thank you. 

5 hours ago, Avo said:

I am ok thanks - tired but that's normal it seems with me!  I have various issues on the go but then I suppose that's life and everyone has things they have to deal with. 

I'm glad you're ok but I hope the issues you have on the go get sorted very soon. Thank you so much for all of your advice, I really appreciate it. X

Hi Emsie, I had a chance to sit down and watch the intro video for Dr. Ryan's OCD course and I have to say it looks and sounds quite good.  Everything she is saying sounds exactly like what I learned from some very knowledgable and helpful therapists I worked with when I was really struggling with my own OCD.   The information sounds very practical, it looks well organized.  Looks like it would definitely be worth a try in my opinion!

4 hours ago, dksea said:

Hi Emsie, I had a chance to sit down and watch the intro video for Dr. Ryan's OCD course and I have to say it looks and sounds quite good.  Everything she is saying sounds exactly like what I learned from some very knowledgable and helpful therapists I worked with when I was really struggling with my own OCD.   The information sounds very practical, it looks well organized.  Looks like it would definitely be worth a try in my opinion!

Hi dksea, thank you so much for your time, for watching the video and for your input on the course. I really appreciate it, it’s so kind of you and I really value your opinion. Thank you for everything. Best wishes to you. X

Hi Emsie,

I visited Dr Ryan's website and I found a video about the online course and others videos too. what I like the most is that she seems to be really well qualified as a therapist to treat OCD according to the information of her website. I think to take one of her onñine courses is a great idea.

I hope it helps,

big hug

Just now, Andrea said:

Hi Emsie,

I visited Dr Ryan's website and I found a video about the online course and others videos too. what I like the most is that she seems to be really well qualified as a therapist to treat OCD according to the information of her website. I think to take one of her onñine courses is a great idea.

I hope it helps,

big hug

Hi Andrea, 

Thank you so much for taking the time to do that and to give me your thoughts, I really appreciate it, it's so kind of you. I really value your opinion and that helps a lot, thank you!

big hug back