new to forum--contamination ocd

Hi

I'm new to the forum--not new to ocd...I've had it for about 20 years now.

I've found medication along with cbt helpful and I've made lots of gains over the years.

However I've found that I'm having a few setbacks lately and am thinking I may  need some extra support to get back on track, so was hoping to use this forum for that.

My main issue is contamination--esp anything to do with blood. I do know the drill of needing to get down to it and do the work of stopping the compulsions/avoidance.

Today's accidental exposure was seeing some blood on my hand. I'm fairly certain it was my own as I could see a small injury around my fingernail.

part of me wants to shower, change etc to feel clean, part of me knows that's not a good idea. (I obviously washed my hand when I noticed the blood)

anyhow it's all very difficult for me. I get very sick and worried and flooded with anxiety around it. so just trying to work thru it.

If anyone feels like joining me, just writing up their exposures, the compulsions they're resisting..that might help me keep on track a little.

I'm just feeling so down about all of this as I can see how often I'm going down the wrong track and giving into compulsions. :(

Hi leif 

Something to hold onto with contamination OCD is the thought that the contamination is only in the mind of the sufferer. 

Other sensible risk-averse people come across the same situations, but don't have that false or exaggerated OCD core  belief that there is a risk that requires the alarm button to be pressed leading to adverse behavioural responses and the urge to carry out compulsions. 

Trying to see things as others see them, then trying to adopt that approach will help. Labelling the issue as OCD - created, re-attributing it to OCD, sitting with the anxiety resisting compulsions then getting refocused onto something beneficial and involved will also help break the power of the OCD thoughts. 

All the best 

Roy 

I can totally relate leif....but Roy's advice is spot on (need to listen to it myself!)....the OCD is like a bully....that's the way I look at it...it is bullying you with thoughts that aren't really a problem. Hope that helps xx