Is this ERP?

Hi guys, please can I ask a question about ERP.

I'm wondering if what I've done in the past is ERP. I haven't set up anything deliberately because for my obsessions its a bit difficult. To explain with an example, I used to get triggered by broken bits of glass that you see sometimes in car parks, near pubs, on paths etc. I had to pick the glass up (compulsion) as I feared that if I didn't and someone got hurt like a child it would all be my fault. I then worried about the disposal and I used to take the glass home to recycle. I had a purse in my bag that I'd put it in. Then of course came the checking compulsions of returning to the site and checking I'd found it all. I'd avoid looking down etc too. All compulsions. 

In CBT, something my therapist said clicked and helped with the cognitive side and then if and when I came across glass in a car park etc I'd carry on walking and ride out the anxiety/feelings of being irresponsible etc. I can now see broken glass and it doesn't bother me, no trigger, no complusions. But I didn't set the ERP up, I just did it when I saw broken glass, so unplanned. I could hardly sprinkle glass about and then leave it there. 

So is doing it in an unplanned way and just doing it as and when the triggers arise still considered ERP? 

Edited by Emsie
17 minutes ago, PolarBear said:

Yes. Although it is not being done in a structured way, you are being exposed to that which you fear. Then you practice response prevention, which means not doing your usual compulsions.

Perfecto.

That’s great and good to know and understand. Thank you PolarBear. X