Hi everyone, has anyone tried the Linden method and if so did it work?? There are really good reviews on this site. I live in a small one bedroom flat, I was in bed last night and my bedroom door was open, my husband had the kitchen door open and put a tray back in the oven so I had a terrible time with this, as I felt my bed was contaminated. I still can’t eat meat and fish, this never bothered me before, but now if I go near any of this I crumble and feel so dirty, WHY I’m so anxious and frustrated with this. Dies this happen to anyone else??? Thanks for reading. X

Hi Madchoc

I've never heard of the Linden method, so will be curious to see if anyone else has and what the results are.

I have contamination OCD as well and can well relate to your feelings of anxiety and frustration...I'm having a setback lately but really cbt so helped me in the past-- A shower that once took me 7 hours filed with anxiety, now generally takes me 10 minutes with no anxiety--all though doing erp backed with cognitive exercises...I'm trying to get back on track with doing cbt/erp on a regular basis to help me back from slipping into compulsions...it's so not easy but well worth it!

Have you done cbt/erp to address any of this?

Hi Leif, thankyou for your reply, Im trying to do Erp,  but my therapist is off sick at the moment. I haven’t seen him for a month now, what CBT do you do?  I hate the shower, so anxious in there, our landlord did a repair in the shower and forgot to take his shoes off, so I didn’t know until I got in shower and saw a dark mark, well that was horrible and.    My mind ran riot, it was dog poo or worse, I sprayed the shower base, but now always struggle, and see black on my  self.  Rediculous I know, but it won’t go away. Take care xx

Edited by Madchoc
Spelling
31 minutes ago, Madchoc said:

Hi Leif, thankyou for your reply, Im trying to do Erp,  but my therapist is off sick at the moment. I haven’t seen him for a month now, what CBT do you do?  I hate the shower, so anxious in there, our landlord did a repair in the shower and forgot to take his shoes off, so I didn’t know until I got in shower and saw a dark mark, well that was horrible and.    My mind ran riot, it was dog poo or worse, I sprayed the shower base, but now always struggle, and see black on my  self.  Rediculous I know, but it won’t go away. Take care xx

I used a self help book and worked my way through it mostly on my own. I did have some help with therapists with general cbt but it wasn't directed at ocd in particular so was only partly helpful...do you use a self-help book at all? Mine was a 10 step program that helped me work through cognitive exercises, helped me build exposure hierarchies and I worked through it just a little at a time, but very consistently. I was pretty desperate to get better as my entire life was a wreck--I lost so much weight and my hands were chapped and cracked all the time.

now my big challenge is to keep up exposures now that my life isn't such a wreck. sometimes its easy to let things slip when our lives aren't too bad, but I can see a pattern I'm slipping into of doing more and more compulsions. so back to trying to let myself feel uncomfortable, dirty, contaminated...but just a little bit at a time.

one cognitive exercise I find helpful is reflecting on the freedom i'll gain in my life by putting up with short term discomfort. or reflecting on exposures that felt uncomfortable at the time, but then helped me get over the obsession in the long term.

• 2 weeks later...