Stuck in trying to make a choice

Just two last things Ryukil in case these come up: 

When you get an intrusive thought that the therapy may not be right, you think "maybe it is, maybe it isn't" and leave the thought question alone.

If you get an intrusive thought that you need to "do an exposure to be doing ERP properly", think "I'm not dealing with this right now," and leave it alone, regardless of how much OCD screams at you that you're screwing up your therapy.

good luck :) 

2 hours ago, Ryukil said:

Thanks guys. :)

Need to envision myself posting here in a few months saying I'm much improved and try to make that a reality. 

It will be a reality!! I think you should be proud of yourself for wanting to continue working on this, it's not easy and I think it takes us all a bit of going back and forth until we got it figured out. 

I just wanted to tell you one more thing. I think when you have a condition like this and, especially, after you have been through residential treatment, it can be easy to get overimmersed in thinking about OCD. I think one thing you should also work on is trying to engage with other things in life. Think about what you enjoy, the person you want to be, what makes you happy. I find that the best thing that helps against feeling bad in general is to engage with the outside world. Of course work on your exposures but don't allow your life to become just about OCD. 

1 minute ago, malina said:

It will be a reality!! I think you should be proud of yourself for wanting to continue working on this, it's not easy and I think it takes us all a bit of going back and forth until we got it figured out. 

I just wanted to tell you one more thing. I think when you have a condition like this and, especially, after you have been through residential treatment, it can be easy to get overimmersed in thinking about OCD. I think one thing you should also work on is trying to engage with other things in life. Think about what you enjoy, the person you want to be, what makes you happy. I find that the best thing that helps against feeling bad in general is to engage with the outside world. Of course work on your exposures but don't allow your life to become just about OCD. 

Yes, I agree completely. :) Thanks. I wrote to myself that I'm better off reading about Star Trek than OCD at this point (I love Star Trek, lol). Like, that's more productive than just thinking endlessly about my "perfect plan" for overcoming OCD.

Edited by Ryukil
1 hour ago, Ryukil said:

Yes, I agree completely. :) Thanks. I wrote to myself that I'm better off reading about Star Trek than OCD at this point (I love Star Trek, lol). Like, that's more productive than just thinking endlessly about my "perfect plan" for overcoming OCD.

Boldly go where you've not been going before and take your spare time up with beneficial activities :)

Where we lived for the last twenty years in London had a large square back garden which, despite some light pollution, was still excellent for the hobby of astronomy. 

So I bought myself a telescope and a star chart book, plus bought Astronomy Now magazine regularly. 

And not only I enjoyed this new outdoor hobby. Whenever I was out there my cat ? Sophie accompanied me and would spend hours patiently observing ? too :cat:

Our favourite telescope view was the planet Saturn, a gorgeous sight in the telescope with its beautiful prominent ring system. 

Another favourite the Orion nebula, a region of coloured gases where new stars are formed. 

Astronomy as a hobby fitted in well with my own penchant for Star Trek ?

I also retook up the hobby of angling which I had enjoyed as a boy. 

The usual perception of fishing ? as a hobby is of people waiting hours on the bank for something to happen, looking bored, but this isn't the reality; in practice you are either "playing", landing unhooking then safely returning fish ?, or changing baits and tactics in order to catch fish.

It's wonderfully busy and wonderfully relaxing. You get to take a picnic, can go with friends, and it's usually an enjoyable drive out into the country. 

But no cats allowed :D